Forums

Enhancing views of group matches

Sort:
LoekBergman

Recently I engaged in a WL 2013 match between Chess Team Holland and Belgium. There are a lot of players involved. The result is a long list of players.

Having a background in programming I would suggest some enhancements for those views.

1. Adding a column to the left with the board number. That makes it easy to know where you are in the list of players. I think that that is much easier to navigate then trying to search for a specific name. This is also a wish of one of the admins of Chess Team Holland, because now he has to count the number of players in a tournament manually, which is error prone.

2. Using alternating rows to ease the reading of different rows.

3. If the list of players in such a match is big, splitting the view in different pages using a pager.

LoekBergman

Oops, I forgot to pose a question. The text looks quite blunt now and that is not my intention.

What do you think of those ideas?

Tartarus_BW

I think it is a very good idea. I hope that a staffmember can pass this idea through to the right person.

LoekBergman

I have a new idea:

When I want to start a new game I have to settle things in two screens. In the view /echess/myhome can I adjust the min and max ratings. Whenever I want extra settings when creating a new game, then must I click on start new game and go to /echess/create_game.

At that URL is it not possible to adjust the rating settings. I always have to think about that before I start a new game. I think it would be convenient if that is in one place.

LoekBergman

You have humor sir to mirror my remark!

You are the best! Always been. :-)

LoekBergman

I understood that. I was curious if you would also mirror the positive remark.

You could also copy those manners you know. :-)

Schlechter55 was in the beginning very nice and friendly to you although you said that playing blindfold is fraud and it is impossible to play more games blindfolded simultaneously. When you keep on repeating words like fraud, then can you expect that one of the other persons will react more vehemently. I think you could predict it that it would happen.

Now I gave you the opportunity to react with humor in return. It is up to you how you will react.

I will give you a smile, you can give me one in return and get over with it.

Happy days! :-)

Irontiger
LoekBergman wrote:

1. Adding a column to the left with the board number. That makes it easy to know where you are in the list of players. I think that that is much easier to navigate then trying to search for a specific name. This is also a wish of one of the admins of Chess Team Holland, because now he has to count the number of players in a tournament manually, which is error prone.

3. If the list of players in such a match is big, splitting the view in different pages using a pager.

1. is easy to do (I suppose ?) and would clearly be useful.

2. What do you mean ?

3. maybe not that easy to do. But anyways, how many players are we talking about ? 100, 200 maximum ? That can fit on a page.

LoekBergman

The only thing he said about you was that you are a troll.

You said he was lame, a punk, respected GMs frauds, you created a thread in which you named and shamed Schlechter55 - which is not in line with the good behaviour on chess.com - , the name of him was removed by the moderators, yet you reentered his name. Are your excellent manners solely dependent on the level of manners of others? And if the others do not display them, yours vanish simply as that? When will you display your excellent manners then?

This is the last time that I will answer you on this subject I kindly ask you to react only one more time on this subject and then talk about the subject of this thread.

It belongs to my manners to try to let things go and ideally when there is some disturbance on the line to shrug the shoulders and give each other a smile.

It is all about priorities. Have a nice day. :-)

LoekBergman
Irontiger wrote:
LoekBergman wrote:

1. is easy to do (I suppose ?) and would clearly be useful.

2. What do you mean ?

3. maybe not that easy to do. But anyways, how many players are we talking about ? 100, 200 maximum ? That can fit on a page.

1. it is easy to do indeed.

2. Alternating rows is the technique to change the color of lines within a view. It is user friendly, because people can easily see what belongs together.

Here is an example:

http://ui-patterns.com/patterns/AlternatingRowColors

Alternating colors in this view can be helpful in my opinion because you only need information on one row. Furthermore, you do not have to alternate the whole row. Only the columns with the names would be enough.

3. correct, it can fit on a page, but it makes the data of the players low on the list more readily available.

Irontiger
666AAA666 wrote:

U know that things are not like that. This person said many lies, encourage others to attack me, he had the support of mods. Basically he didnt even recognize  me the right to say my opinion. From my side, I only defend myself, seems this bothers u. Good manners doesnt mean 'let other hit u and tell him thanks'. Is this how u react? I dont think so. So dont be unfair.

https://yourlogicalfallacyis.com/special-pleading

LoekBergman, I suggest you block this troll out of your thread.

Back on topic : 

2.ok, I understand now. Agreed.

3.Still not convinced. Clicking on the pages does not make for easier access than a long list. Of course, if the list was 10 000 members long, it becomes easier to click on the 100th page of 20 boards instead of scrolling down evalutating 20% of the scroll bar, but what is the kind of numbers we are talking of ? I spouted 200 boards as a maximum, but I really have no idea.

Additionally, how do you take care of the start of the tournament, when all spots are not filled and people keep moving in the board list (if someone with a high rating enters, all the others move down one place) ? It would be really weird when you suddenly jump a page.

LoekBergman

@Irontiger: good site and a good description of a certain fallacy.

I prefer not to block anyone. I will just not answer him anymore if he writes about that particular subject.

Back on topic, good idea :-)

3. That is something we can only decide upon if we would have a concrete example I guess. My estimation is that people will not tend to look as quickly to the results of the members out of the list when scrolling is needed in comparison to looking at the result of the members when it can be accessed using tabs or a pager.

This page has a special kind of datatype, because all rows have equal importance. Normally in a search or something, is the first row more important then next rows. In this page it isn't. That is why I suggest to have access to them in the same way.

I think this article has good ideas about scrolling versus pagination:

http://uxmovement.com/navigation/avoid-the-pains-of-pagination/

In the addition are you talking about two different pages. As long as the member list is not set, would I not recommend paging. I agree that would be really clumsy.

LoekBergman

@666AAA666: Please keep up the good manners. Don't point to someone else for lack of your excellent manners. They are your responsibility alone.

@Irontiger or anyone else: I do not want somebody else to react on his remarks here. It is all about priorities and I prefer that people react on the enhancements I proposed.

Back on topic:

You are welcome to tell what you think about my suggestions for enhancements to this site?

Tartarus_BW

As mentioned before I totally agree with suggestion number 1. As an admin I've to keep an eye for the amount of registrations. This is because for the World League there is a minimum amount of registrations rule. 

The suggestion would save me some time!

Suggestion number 2 is already implemented I think. If I see the teammatches, I see an alternating background color.

LoekBergman

@Tartarus_BW: indeed, you are right!

@Irontiger: now you have a good place to see how it looks like! :-)

Tartarus_BW

Loek, it seems suggestion 1 is implemented! Look at our teammatch against South-Africa!

LoekBergman

Hi Toni, indeed! Great to see and it makes counting a lot easier, does it?