Forums

i looked at the new format

Sort:
JonathanCElliott

Is there any option to switch to the old format on an individual level?  I looked under "View how chess.com looks", but I didn't see an option there for that, only about how the boards and pieces look.

I need it the old way, please, at least as an individual option.  In order for my experiment to work according to the original rules, I need to be able to see the 10 oldest open games on a single screen, no scrolling, with the antenna symbols for those players who are currently online, since I always move against them first as a courtesy.

Also not finding a way to contact the admins directly, so not sure if this is ever going to change back. Frown

arborvitian

This text entry widget into which I'm typing is broken, and I lose my cursor every time I screw up and touch one of the arrow keys.  That is driving me quite nuts, and stunts like this really aren't amusing at all.  I develop software.  Sure, sometimes you release something that isn't quite baked because it's the only way to get broad feedback and deep testing, but with software, users who don't want to deal with the growing pains can just go back to using the old version until the new .1 or .2 release comes out.  Not having that option is pretty irritating.

JonathanCElliott

I also give preference to games which are in 'opening mode' according to the rules of my experiment, and I can't tell which those are unless I can see the 10 oldest games in a single list on a single screen.

blackfirestorm
JonathanCElliott wrote:

I also give preference to games which are in 'opening mode' according to the rules of my experiment, and I can't tell which those are unless I can see the 10 oldest games in a single list on a single screen.

http://www.chess.com/groups/notes/chesscom-redesign-feedback

JonathanCElliott

Once I've played games which are in 'opening mode', and then once I've taken care of all online opponents, the 3rd sort is that I look for anytime that I have 2 or more games against the same opponent listed among the 10 oldest, in which case I play immediately the game which has the most moves already made, in order to clean that one out first.

JonathanCElliott

In sum, with the new format, I have no way of comparing the games in the list of 10 oldest, in order to see which move I want to make next.  All that I can do now is simply play the oldest open game, and there are several reasons why that messes me up.  Can we please at least have the option for the 'classic look', or whatever we want to call it??

AndTheLittleOneSaid
JonathanCElliott wrote:

In sum, with the new format, I have no way of comparing the games in the list of 10 oldest, in order to see which move I want to make next.  All that I can do now is simply play the oldest open game, and there are several reasons why that messes me up.  Can we please at least have the option for the 'classic look', or whatever we want to call it??

There's a little button to the top right of your games, you can use it to switch between list view and board view.

whitebull

Alas,  I guess we have the new format whether we like it or not. Why is it that change is seldom for the better?

JonathanCElliott

Oh yeah, I forgot, something else:  With the new format, I can't tell when I'm down to 6 open games, which is how I know that I have time to start new games.  Must now wait until I am down to 5, which is much harder to achieve.

AndTheLittleOneSaid
JonathanCElliott wrote:

Oh yeah, I forgot, something else:  With the new format, I can't tell when I'm down to 6 open games, which is how I know that I have time to start new games.  Must now wait until I am down to 5, which is much harder to achieve.

Are you talking about your online chess? It tells you how many current games you have going at the top, shows you more than 6 games if you have them, and you have the option of switching to the old view.

Cystem_Phailure

oh so funny

oh so funny

oh so funny

oh so funny

oh so funny

blackfirestorm
BorgQueen wrote:

Well there really is no point mentioning design flaws in the new system HERE.  They have a group for that, yet people STILL keep posting issues here...

Simply because its a "private group for those giving feedback" A few of us have applied and yet to be accepted

whitebull
AndTheLittleOneSaid wrote:
JonathanCElliott wrote:

There's a little button to the top right of your games, you can use it to switch between list view and board view.

Thanks for that.  It works!

Cystem_Phailure
BorgQueen wrote:

Well there really is no point mentioning design flaws in the new system HERE.  They have a group for that, yet people STILL keep posting issues here...

Several people have received answers to problems/issues they have posted here.  Why does that bother you?

unohoo

Looks like it may be time to check other sites

Elroch

Another daft feature of the new format: group home pages now don't display admin names, merely little pictures. My guess is that daftness alone will not be enough to reverse such a pointless change.

I have come to the conclusion that there is an underlying theme of obfuscation in the changes that have been made.

Incidentally, the first I knew there was even a new interface under development was when I saw it had changed today.

erikido23

why can I only see about a third of the comments?

Aditya_Deshpande8

no......the change in the format is nice....and yeah acceptable.....kudos to developers....! Cool

blackfirestorm
BorgQueen wrote:
blackfirestorm666 wrote:
BorgQueen wrote:

Simply because its a "private group for those giving feedback" A few of us have applied and yet to be accepted

Ah.  My bad then... I thought they basically let pretty much everyone in... I mean they let me in ^_^

Yes and I will bet that most of those hand selected are saying how wonderful it is? Very annoying

chessplayer11

Oh well, at least this gives me a chance to explore new chess sites. At the core all I do is play chess here. The only thing keeping me here was the nice format.

Take that away.... well, it's like they say, if you don't like it, you can change the channel.

It's not even a look issue, just funtionality. Plain and simple. Why release something still in beta that simply doesn't work correctly is beyond me.