Forums

Live Chess Tournaments, today

Sort:
sftac

Sure, it would be nice if this site's programmers came up with a tourney Bot.  But in the meantime:

How come an experienced Tournament Director, is not already holding Live Chess tourneys here?  Is there no interest in tournaments?

They could: use a chat room here, and, a forum topic for posting updated pairing lists for each round and post an up to date crosstable based on round results. 

Surely this site is large enough that it has lots of members who've done tournament directing.  There's free pairing and crosstable software out there (somewhere).

sftac

kohai

People tried, but not everyone wants to work out who plays who and what the scoring is.

TheGrobe

Before we had correspondence tournaments, there were self organized tournaments that worked not too badly.  I don't know that the same could easily be done in live.

More to the point, the logistics of matching up players and, critically, ensuring that they get online at the same time to play each other so that you can advance the tournament seems to me an extremely daunting challenge.

kohai

Live tourneys will be coming soon. We're working on them at the moment.

sftac
TheGrobe wrote: More to the point, the logistics of matching up players and, critically, ensuring that they get online at the same time to play each other so that you can advance the tournament seems to me an extremely daunting challenge.

I agree.  It would greatly help to have some experience at doing this (I've none, myself).  If someone's contemplating trying this as a newbie, they might start with "quads", for say, a "1/0 quad event". 

That would mean:  four entrants in total.  Each player plays 6 - 1/0 games (2 each) as they'd play every other (all three) entrants of the quad event as both white and black.  There'd be no actual rounds involved and the cross-table would be simplicity itself but could be posted in the forums. 

Might be very useful as a sort of a practice session to get used to running this sort of thing, acquiring a sense of the level of interest, and perhaps contemplate  running small turnout Swiss pairing or 'Round Robin' tourneys.

sftac

ps.  I noticed the site remarked about setting up Live Tourneys being 'in the works' (two years ago).  And recently remarked on Live Tourneys coming 'sometime this Fall'.  I interpret that to probably mean in practice (since Fall ends Dec. 22nd), on or before early to mid 2012.

If in the meantime someone were volunteering to run a bunch of regular Live Chess tourneys manually (with the likely help of pairing/crosstable software to keep a forum topic up to date), I think it would be nice if the site rewarded successful work efforts of this character of any note, with a premium membership or membership extension imo. 

oinquarki
sftac wrote:

I noticed the site remarked about setting up Live Tourneys being 'in the works' (two years ago).  And recently remarked on Live Tourneys coming 'sometime this Fall'.  I interpret that to probably mean in practice (since Fall ends Dec. 22nd), on or before early to mid 2012.

http://www.chess.com/forum/view/livechess/live-chess-tournaments---almost-there

CHEssGUEVARA

This must be the next serious step for this website.  Surely it is one of the largest and I expect it to happen at some point.  But honestly its surprising to me that Chess960 isn't available for Live play either.  That seems like an easy fix so who knows.  I think it would even be cool if Capablanca Chess had some support too.

kohai
CHEssGUEVARA wrote:

But honestly its surprising to me that Chess960 isn't available for Live play either. 

It will be.