Forums

Member Map Option Removed ?!

Sort:
netzach

Hadn't thought of the point raised by LisaV.

Regrettably however it is all to easy to obtain someone's IP & use the same google-location tools outside of chess.com.

Removing the map solves nothing therefore for those primarily concerned with privacy/security.

A similar map with less-detail (closest main-City perhaps?) would still be a useful-feature.

nameno1had
netzach wrote:

Hadn't thought of the point raised by LisaV.

Regrettably however it is all to easy to obtain someone's IP & use the same google-location tools outside of chess.com.

Removing the map solves nothing therefore for those primarily concerned with privacy/security.

A similar map with less-detail (closest main-City perhaps?) would still be a useful-feature.

Pretty much an echo of my sentiments...I can almost tell you make and model of the car in your driveway with google satellite view. All I need is a name and home town and state, I can figure out your address if I really want to find you, I don't need chess.com's map. We all need to be responsible for ourselves, Chess.com can't babysit all of their users.

johnmusacha

Two things, I call total B.S. on LisaV's "story."  I called shenanigans on it minutes after she posted it and I noticed she quickly retracted her statements. 

Anyway, the other thing, the map as it is now isn't even accurate.  Just look at the "clubs" pinpoints on the world map.  More than half the countries in the world don't have a single chess club "pin," including Japan, Iceland, and Finland (which I know for a fact do have chess clubs).  So what's up with that?

johnmusacha

Wait, first you said it was a friend it happened to.  Now you're saying "it happened to me."  That further would make one believe you are just bs'ing around.

johnmusacha

Ok, I'm sorry to hear that.  You seem like a nice person.  Please accept my apologies.

Mr_Bump

A real shame losing this - I used to recruit for my local over the board club using it!

bulletheadbilly
LisaV wrote:

Sigh.  Yes, another reason for deleting the post in the first place.  I didn't want to give the fringe reading this thread any further ideas, so I left myself out of it.

Now the details are gone, yes it happened to me.

I Beleive that that could have happened to you, and i know of other lady's here , that are afraid of it happening to them..

Kids still go to school though it be unsafe, 

I Vote not to get it back, but there are no poles to vote in on this manner.

they should have a button to click on, giving them permission, and so by clicking on the Button, they know that people will know there general Location..

netzach

Agree LisaV's concerns should be addressed.

An alteration in privacy/settings or detail-provided is required before new-version of map could be restored.

All those favouring the map did so because it was excellent for recruiting (& keeping tabs on cheats!) but if it was also causing some members unease or unhappiness then more important that gets fixed first.

bulletheadbilly

Heya Netzach, do you think they might bring it back?

netzach

Not in such detail Billy no.

Since Google provides info that is unlikely. The site does however have some clout with them. Perhaps reduced-resolution version could be provided for chess.com?

corrijean

If it were just opt in instead of opt out, most people wouldn't mind it.

It's when you have to realize it is there and and that you have to actively go remove yourself from it that it's a problem. 

bulletheadbilly

very good point corijean, that wood be Fair and Correct iin my book..

Naakija

Hmmm ... as an Undefault Setting. A Member would have to put him/her onto the Map before seeing the Other Members. Good Idea !     Laughing

Math0t

Sounds like a very good idea: opt in and have the map only available to the ones that do opt in.

OldChessDog

I used the map a lot before it was dropped--curious to see if there were any chessplayers near. (Not very often.) But I can see why some might feel uncomfortable with it.

pierpaolol

I agree with you too, Lauri...

Give us back map!

bulletheadbilly

You know what they used to tell us in the Marine Corps ?

"You will get Nothing, and you will Like It "!

Naakija

Only Local Clubs & Coaches & Events.     Frown

http://www.chess.com/local

roofer71

this limits group recruiting . that is all i used it for . could you now send new members toward thier state groups to see if they want to join