Forums

National and International ratings.

Sort:
Kurt_Stromer

Do the ratings on chess.com count if you enter a live tourney, such as the "Queenstown Classic Chess Tounament" starting here in New Zealand tomorrow? 

RomaniTaS

no

Kurt_Stromer

How do you know this ?

TadDude
Kurt_Stromer wrote:

Do the ratings on chess.com count if you enter a live tourney, such as the "Queenstown Classic Chess Tounament" starting here in New Zealand tomorrow? 

Online chess is to OTB chess as Scrabble is to Competitive eating.

http://www.newzealandchess.co.nz/queenstownchess/regulations.html

"Grades used to determine grading prize eligibility are, in order: FIDE (World Chess Federation) grades, New Zealand grades, Australian grades, and national grades of other countries. Unrated players with past tournament experience must give an indication of playing strength and may be assigned a grade at the discretion of the arbiters. The applicable list in each case will be the most recently published (i.e. FIDE list of 01/01/2012 will apply)."

Kurt_Stromer

Thank you @ TadDude, the arbiters with New Zealand Chess discussed my circumstance and assigned a rating of 1640 to me. I'm also pleased to say that the tourney was a great deal of fun, even though I only walked away with 2 1/2 points. Had some cracker games  and considering that I havn't played a tourney in over 40 years, I thought I did ok. One of those games was a six hour marathon, with all of my nine opponents rating considerably higher than mine. I'm grateful for the opportunity to play face-time chess (OTB), but I take away much more than 2 1/2 wins in experience and 'updates'. Cheers. 

Chess4001

otb ratings count for real tournaments, not chess.com ratings.

Kurt_Stromer

Yes correct, as already discovered.