Forums

New online tabs default?

Sort:
Cystem_Phailure

This afternoon my online chess games are coming up with the "Moves" tab on the left, and selected.  I know there were previous suggestions for that (although an option to choose which tab we want to display on default would be nice), but I'd find it a lot more useful if for ongoing games it displayed showing the end of the move list (most recent moves) rather than the beginning of the game.  Otherwise it still needs to be adjusted when opened and no efficiency has been gained over having to click on the Moves tab like before.

mdog21

I dislike the new default. Is there a way to change it back so that the chat is the default?

Cystem_Phailure

Just a couple minutes after I started this thread they posted a blog entry about the changes (and others):

http://blog.chess.com/webmaster/site-enhancements---20110616

Sneakersthehopper

I think you should have an option for which tab we want on the left. This change that you people made is very frustrating for those of us who like to chat.

kohai

If any new chat is posted to you by your opponent in the game, the chat tab appears first.

HyperLucid

So if I greet a person, they will see this and choose to respond rather than have to check the chat box? If so that's okay I suppose.. I liked it better the original way though.

I never use the *Moves* tab. Maybe it will help my game...I dunno...but the feel is less personal now which is part of why I come here every day :)

HyperLucid

Quote: We added new tab behavior to the right of the board. Because not everyone chats, “Moves” is now the default tab selection when the page loads.

Why was it changed? Could not the people who have no interest in chat simply click the moves tab?

It's bugging me now Cry (where's me kleenex)

Sneakersthehopper

The people who don't like chat could have just disabled the chat, and then the moves tab would be up for them all the time.

HyperLucid
Sneakersthehopper wrote:

The people who don't like chat could have just disabled the chat, and then the moves tab would be up for them all the time.

exactly....

and many a times people have done just that. Game over, move on...Very,very simple.

I really miss seeing notes first from friends I play who in realtime I'd lost touch with long ago had it not been for this site. (nope,no tweeter nor Fakebook for me) this was cool here,simple,fun and a way to stay in-touch.

a sense of severance has overcome me...

Cystem_Phailure
Sneakersthehopper wrote:

It's not a matter of not liking chat.  There are still some of us who want to have the chat available, but we give the moves a higher priority.  Most of my games have only 1 or 2 chat messages from each person for the whole game, but I still want chat enabled.

HyperLucid
Cystem_Phailure wrote:
Sneakersthehopper wrote:

It's not a matter of not liking chat.  There are still some of us who want to have the chat available, but we give the moves a higher priority.  Most of my games have only 1 or 2 chat messages from each person for the whole game, but I still want chat enabled.

I say we take a vote... 

Is that possible?

It's Erics site and all but the place has lost it's touch for me.

HyperLucid
echecs06 wrote:

How many people chat? How many don't? I rest my case.

I had know idea how much chatting I did..

That said, I'm bailing out for the summer now and in checking the chat box to message my friends found they had messaged me but not moved which made their messages not viewable..Good thing I checked. Small flaw that perhaps could be worked out if the decision is not reversed to the former way? (the better way:)

Cystem_Phailure
echecs06 wrote:

How many people chat? How many don't? I rest my case.

Which case?  You haven't even stated a position yet!  You only posted that ambivalent "undecided" smiley that doesn't mean anything.

If the only thing that mattered was raw numbers of users, the Moves tab would win, since moves are made in all online games and chatting is done in some unknown but smaller number of games.  However, there are other factors too, such as frequency of use of each tab by those people who use both tabs.  In a typical 30-move game, I'll look at the Moves tab 30 times and write in the Chat tab once or twice.

Cystem_Phailure
echecs06 wrote:

If there are more chatters than chattees, then let's change it. if not, leave it the way it is.

Ah.  In that case, as I had already written, I think how often people use each tab is of more importance than the total number of people who use only one or the other exclusively.

Such a clever fellow you are, thinking up endless combinations of plays on my moniker.  Well, kudos to any brain exercises that help stave off dementia.

wishiwonthatone

In short - I don't care. I hardly pay attention to anything but the game. I use the back arrow buttons to see past moves, not the moves tab. I chat (frequently) only with repeat "customers" (bless their rotten souls). So tab order, tab hierarchy, tab functions, etc. ... where's my beer?

catholicbatman

I am saddened by this move that chess.com made.

I suggest that the tab default should be an option. It wouldn't be hard to program it that way since obviously there is programming now for the chat tab to be the default or the move tab to be the default. All it would take is a box on the options to click on or off that would allow the user to choose whether they want the chat tab displayed first or the moves tab. This would make everyone happy.

And if no one talks for one move the moves tab goes back to default so I have to click it again if I want to talk, which kind of upsets me, so the "when you chat it becomes the default tab" is kind of dumb in my opinion.

It also would have been nice if chess.com had informed us of this before they decided to do it, but I guess that's the way it goes.

I do have high expectations for this website (because I remember when it first started) and I have seen how awesome it can become. Please consider my input.

catholicbatman
Cystem_Phailure wrote:
Sneakersthehopper wrote:

Could be solved by simply having an option for the tab default. Would make everyone happy.

catholicbatman
PerfectGent wrote:

It seems the code to highlight the chat tab when required is already there so it just needs a tick box in the accounts section to select it as always on.

Precisely! :)

artfizz

Even better would be to be able to set it on a per game basis: whatever tab you select on a game - remains in focus until you explicitly change it.

wishiwonthatone
artfizz wrote:

Even better would be to be able to set it on a per game basis: whatever tab you select on a game - remains in focus until you explicitly change it.

I thought it worked that way. This changed? I haven't been too active lately - forgive my ignorance.