Forums

Posting = Tracking?

Sort:
TheGrobe

For some reason, starting this morning, every time I post in a thread tracking for that thread is automatically turned on and I end up flooded with unwanted alerts.

Is this a new feature?  An unintended glitch?  At the moment I have to go back and manually turn of tracking for every thread I post in -- if there's a way to turn this off globally can someone please point me towards it?  If it's a bug, can someone please give it some urgent attention?

TheGrobe

OK, this is officially driving me batty.

Any comment from staff?

artfizz
El_Senior wrote:

I'm being bombarded with these alerts too - it just says new comment but it doesn't say which forum thread and it's not any of the threads I started. 

Staff please turn it off! 

The alert just says New Comment - but if you go to your homepage, you'll see the list of threads.

artfizz

Personally I think it's the right way round.

artfizz
artfizz wrote: Personally I think it's the right way round.

echecs06 wrote: In English, please?

I always track the threads I post in - so having tracking automatically switched on  whenever you post seems to me to be the appropriate default setting.

rooperi

It's not doing that for me. So it's not a new setting, I think.

[edit uh-oh, I spoke too soon]

TheGrobe

It's OK as an option for those who want it, but I don't care for it so I'd really like a way to turn it off.

kohai

It is a new feature.

When you post to content, you will auto track it.  It means you are involved in the discussion.  If you no longer want to track, scroll down to the comment box and un-check "Tracking".  If you do post another comment, you will once again auto track.

TheGrobe

I have to do this for every thread I post in?

Can we please have a master setting that allows us to have it behave the way it used to, while still allowing us to selectively track users and threads?

rooperi

Hmmm, I dont like this much.....

BlunderMeister

I would think most people don't want to get bombarded with the tracking messages.  It should be set to off as a default.

DuchessD

What is this?

Ah. So seems it's too hard now to uncheck a box?  Would be a problem for the more verbose members...

jon
TheGrobe wrote:

Can we please have a master setting that allows us to have it behave the way it used to, while still allowing us to selectively track users and threads?

Can do.  I've added it to the hopper as we speak.

BlunderMeister
DuchessD wrote:

What is this?

Ah. So seems it's too hard now to uncheck a box?  Would be a problem for the more verbose members...

It's not a matter of it being to hard to uncheck a box.  It's just bad web design.  They changed the site defaults, and in the process it now shoves unwanted messages in everybody's face by default, not unlike pop-up ads.  It's just a bit rude really.  There should be a global setting that is off by default.  If you want the extra messages, you can turn it on.  But most people don't want all that noise.

BlunderMeister
jon wrote:
TheGrobe wrote:

Can do.  I've added it to the hopper as we speak.

Excellent!

TheGrobe

Thanks for the quick response!

I can see the value in making this feature available, it's just that it's not my preferred means of perusing the threads (as I make regular use of the "Topics I Have Posted In" view), so my preference is not to have threads tracked unless I explicitly turn it on.

I look forward to a fix.

wormrose

[COMMENT DELETED]

I just wanted to post an LOL for the picture of the railroad tracks. But the picture wasn't included in the quote. So the whole thing didn't make any sence, so I deleted my little LOLing smiley. But now I am auto-tracking this forum even though I deleted my comment. So here's LOLing at the picture.

I'm not sure if this is a good idea or not. I suppose if you post in a forum then you ought to be responcible enough to pay attention to what happens next.

Who knows - This new feature might discourages comments like "FIRST" and meaningless LOLs like mine.

But if I say something in a forum then I always track that forum to see what people say about what I said because whenever I say some thing you know it's really - really important or I wouldn't say it. This new feature saves me one selective mouse click per important statement.

Just think of all those mouse clicks.

Martin_Stahl
TheGrobe wrote:

Thanks for the quick response!

I can see the value in making this feature available, it's just that it's not my preferred means of perusing the threads (as I make regular use of the "Topics I Have Posted In" view), so my preference is not to have threads tracked unless I explicitly turn it on.

I look forward to a fix.

That's exactly what I do. I specifically track topics where I want to get notified of updates, even before I check the topics I have posted in.

planeden

let me know when it is safe to come out again. 

think of how many problems this will cause if someone blocks you.  better make sure to untrack all of windy's threads. 

TheGrobe

Wow, no kidding.  Hadn't even thought of it from that perspective.