Forums

Setting for No unrated games

Sort:
Presort

I have not found away to eliminate unrated games.   I wouldn't mind playing unrated games except that if I loose my rating goes down and if I win my rating remains the same.

I usually start 5 games at a time, then find that 4 of them are people that are unrated. Then I ABORT these games and start more games only to find that many of these are also unrated.

Presort

My suggestion is to add a setting that will allow people to select between rated and unrated or both.

bestpony

Do you mean for online games? All you have to do is go to: http://www.chess.com/echess/create_game

Once there, just select Yes from the drop down box that says rated and then search for the games. Then you should be set.

bestpony

And just for clarification, you can select Random in the tab to the left to search for random opponents.

I hope this helps!

Irontiger
Presort wrote:

I have not found away to eliminate unrated games.   I wouldn't mind playing unrated games except that if I loose my rating goes down and if I win my rating remains the same.

Ahem... No. Unrated games, as their name says it, do not change one's rating, whatever the result.

If you are playing much weaker or much stronger opponents (600 or so rating gap), though, the rating will not change if the highest-rated player wins, but will change dramatically if the lowest-rated player wins. This is due to the standard rating adjustment - the ratings must change more if the result was unexpected, basically - plus the fact ratings should be integers (so when the adjustment goes too close to zero it is just set to 0).

As for unrated live chess games (CC has been explained by bestpony) :

1-creating a rated/unrated game :

2- filtering out of the graph seek the unrated games :

Presort

Even though I have rated selected I still get unrated people which I then ABORT. why - - below are my settings

Presort

Even though I want to play onle rated games and I believe my settings are correct I still get unrated folks - so I ABORT thme are repost for more games. How do I fixs this?

bestpony

Oh, I see the problem now after taking a look at your games. It seems you are mistaken; those games you are playing aren't unrated games at all, so you were right in believing you'd be losing rating points if you lost.

What's actually is the case is the players you were facing didn't have a rating. At the end of the day, though, that shouldn't be much of a problem for you, since this means it's pretty much a standard match for you anyway, since you'd get points for beating them, as well. You can see how much in the ratings adjustment field in the "Details" tab inside the game.

Here's what it looks like to you:

Here's what actual unrated games look like from the games tab:

If you >really< want to avoid unrated players for some reason, I'd advise trying to set your rating search range in any interval that doesn't cover the 1200-mark, as that's what I think unrated is set to be at.

bestpony

So, essentially what you're doing is aborting legitimate games, if you think about it. Don't you think that is quite unfair to your opponents?

Irontiger

Ok, issue closed I guess.

(and of course, aborting should not be used when there are other ways to choose your options, but if you did not know, I would pardon you)

Presort

Hmmm, so the issue is actually unrated games vrs unrated players.

Thanks