Forums

what is the most important piece in chess?

Sort:
Fancy_Pants_Orange

It can be your opinion or an overall statement

YelenaRose

The king, if you lose it your lost, you can play on whitout a bishop etc.

Fancy_Pants_Orange

Hmm I agree, but my personal favourite is the knight because it can fork many pieces at a time

YelenaRose

Wilhelm Steinitz once said: king is a fighting piece, use it!

Fancy_Pants_Orange

Yes! Great comment!

QueenTakesKnightOOPS

The piece that delivers Mate!!!

Rsava
QueenTakesKnightOOPS wrote:

The piece that delivers Mate!!!

+1

in one game it could the lowly Pawn, another a Knight delivering a smothered mate.

And Yelena - you don't lose your King, the game is over before it gets taken off the board.

Fancy_Pants_Orange

the piece that delivers mate? any piece could deliver mate!  Frown

InfiniteFlash

The pawn.

Lucidish_Lux

The pawn is the soul of chess. -Philidor

it's the only pieces whose every movement permanently changes the game.

Rsava
shadic5 wrote:

the piece that delivers mate? any piece could deliver mate! 

Tha's the point. The most important piece changes from game to game, from position to position.

If you say Rook and I deliver mate with my Pawn while your Rook is pinned by my Bishop, how important is your Rook?

Fancy_Pants_Orange

Lots of people said the pawn..... what about the knight?

KantTouchThis

well, the knight on the rim is dim-witted

ptd570

numerically the lady rules the board, her man is strong but like lions in the wild he's lazy and she does all the work. Intuitively I vote for the Knight, only player that can jump in and out of danger while manuevering very crafty like a ninja in the night. I think with deep serious computer analaysis we will discover a Knight in a the middle of the board in the middle of the game is the most dangerous but everybody frawns on him. Until he puts them to sleep

Fancy_Pants_Orange

ptd570 wrote:

numerically the lady rules the board, her man is strong but like lions in the wild he's lazy and she does all the work. Intuitively I vote for the Knight, only player that can jump in and out of danger while manuevering very crafty like a ninja in the night. I think with deep serious computer analaysis we will discover a Knight in a the middle of the board in the middle of the game is the most dangerous but everybody frawns on him. Until he puts them to sleep

About the knight part......I agree with you

Fancy_Pants_Orange

Thats exactly what I mean

Rsava wrote:

shadic5 wrote:

the piece that delivers mate? any piece could deliver mate! 

Tha's the point. The most important piece changes from game to game, from position to position.

If you say Rook and I deliver mate with my Pawn while your Rook is pinned by my Bishop, how important is your Rook?

Fancy_Pants_Orange

200 plus views already?! Wow thanks guys!

waffllemaster

The potato.

waffllemaster

Umm. 

The waffle then.

Ubik42

I think probably the queen. Or the rook.