FREE - In Google Play

FREE - in Win Phone Store

VIEW

2017 Chicago Open

Hey, any one going to the Chicago Open? 

http://www.chesstour.com/chio17.htm

No.😓
    Can u plz play with me

400 people signed up already https://www.chessaction.com/tournaments/advance_entry_list.php?tid=oKij

I bet at least 200 of them have chess.com accounts

Dimon2015 wrote:

Hey, any one going to the Chicago Open? 

http://www.chesstour.com/chio17.htm

Been there many times before - 2003, 2008, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016, but won't be there this year.  Will be a the Cherry Blossom Open instead that same weekend in Virginia near the Dulles Airport area.

Yes.

How was it, is it different from other big tournaments? What about the hotel? Westin is already sold out. Was it sold out well in advance in previous years?

There is now chess rate at Ramada 2.8 miles away. I don't  know how reliable is the shuttle service.

Dimon2015 wrote:

How was it, is it different from other big tournaments? What about the hotel? Westin is already sold out. Was it sold out well in advance in previous years?

There is now chess rate at Ramada 2.8 miles away. I don't  know how reliable is the shuttle service.

When attending large tournaments, you should always reserve months in advance.  For example, I wouldn't be surprised if the main hotel of the World Open, played Independence Day weekend, is already full here in Mid-May.

Chicago Open, usually made reservations in February.  I wouldn't say it was significantly different than others.  About 400 to 500 players less than the World Open (usually about 700 to 900), and maybe a tad larger than the National Open.  The key thing is to make sure you understand all rules for tournaments ran by the CCA (go to www.chesstour.com).  Things like cell phone rules and that kind of stuff!

World Open (played '99, '00, '01, '02, '03, '04, '05, '09), usually reserved no later than March, maybe early April at the absolute latest!

National Open (played '12, '16), which is typically in mid June, I reserved both times by February, if not January.

Hey this is my first tournament! I'm fucking excited but have no idea what to expect Any thoughts/ suggestions? I registered for U1000, unrated, 3 day. (I don't yet have a board or a clock...I do have to bring them right?)

I was going to get a set/clock/sheets anyway. I didn't even think about lunch. Thanks for your advice, king

Franklinthecat wrote:

I was going to get a set/clock/sheets anyway. I didn't even think about lunch. Thanks for your advice, king

Get those items at a chess retailer, like USCF Sales or Chess4Less or WholesaleChess.

Don't go buying these things at a Toys R Us.

There are certain standards that must be met.  For example, the King typically has to be between 3 3/4 and 4 1/4 inches tall.  Many "toy store" sets use a checkerboard with Red and Black squares to go with White and Black pieces that are no more than 2 inches tall.  That won't cut it.

As for food, you won't have a problem.  There is ample time between rounds.  You may not be able to go to your favorite steak place if your round goes a long time, but for example, right there by the hotel that the Chicago Open is at are a Subway and a Dunkin Donuts.  If you are short on time, you can always get a sub.

As for the board, the "Green and Buff" are easiest on the eyes.  Brown and Buff probably second.  Don't get the Black, and surely don't get Blue, Red, or some other crazy neon color as you may be forced to use your opponent's equipment.

Also, in case you don't know these rules about USCF tournaments that don't provide board, set, clock, etc:

1. Assuming both players show up on time, and on time doesn't mean right at 2pm for a 2pm round, more like 1:55pm, Black has the choice of equipment.  So if Black wants to use his set, as long as it meets tournament standards, White has no say about it.  Doesn't matter if White uses a wood set and Black uses a plastic set.
    2. Black has the choice of which side to put the clock on in tournaments where the boards are not provided and pre-set.  Do keep in mind though that depending on the event, many times the TD will tell you that the clock needs to face the center aisle.  So if you are Black, and want the clock on your right because you are right handed, sit accordingly so that the clock would face the center aisle when placing it on your right.
    3. Don't forget about touch move.  You touch a piece, you must move it if there is any legal move, no matter how stupid that move may be.  Sit on your hands until you are ready to make your move.
    4. There is always the debate about castling, and whether you can move one piece first versus the other.  To be on the safe side, always move the King first, then the Rook.
    5. All "Adjusting" or offering of draws must be done on your time.  Also, when you offer a draw, it is good until your opponent makes a move.  So the "proper" way to do it is Make your move, say "I offer you a draw" and then hit your clock.  If you are on the move, and you offer a draw, he is under no obligation to decide before you move, and I don't ever accept without you making your move unless it's completely obvious and there is zero chance at a blunder.  Then I may take it without you having to move.  An example of that is you have K+R+B and I have K+R, no pawns.
    6. No noise makers.  If you are going to chew gum, chew it with your mouth closed and don't pop it.  You also should not be eating at the table.  A drink is fine, but food or a snack should always be eaten away from the table, typically on your opponent's time.
    7. Don't leave the tournament area except to use the bathroom.  You can't decide to abandon the game for 45 minutes to eat lunch simply because you have the time on the clock.  You can be forfeited for abandonment, which is typically 15 minutes from when your opponent draws the attention to the director.  So, for example, if you leave the table at 4:30, and at 4:52, your opponent reports abandonment, you are forfeited if you aren't back by 5:07.
    8. USCF is NOT FIDE.  Make sure you understand insufficient mating material rules.
    9. BOTH players are responsible for making sure the result is recorded on the pairing sheets, not just the winner, and not just White.
    10. No electronic devices can be used that have any chance of having any type of chess program on it.  Whether or not it has one is irrelevant.  A Kindle can have a chess app.  You can't turn it on, even if it is to do something else like send an email to mom.  Such electronic devices and phones are prohibited and you can forfeit if caught using it.  Only electronic devices that can't hold a chess program can be used, like a pace maker.

I already managed to obtain a set matching required specs; green & buff, 3.75, etc. I would never buy a board from toys r us, that's just poor taste lol. Everything else you said is great advice, particularly the note about offering draws and insufficient material, I had assumed it was the same across the board.  

I'm playing up a section and might not score that well, but if any female players want a mixed doubles partner feel free to send me a message. May as well play for the chance of a little extra cash if you aren't already ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Hey, 

I am female player. If anyone is willing to pay for my entry fee I will team up with him. wink.png

Looks like this tournament is going to break all records in terms of participation. Big profit for organizers!

Online Now