2020 World Championship Predictions

DJ_Bradlezzz

With the 2018 World Chess Championship coming up in about a week, I thought it would be fun to predict the 2020 world chess championship. This is just my opinion, and is purely speculative. 

Candidates

Fabiano Carauna- Loser of Last WCC

Shakhriyar Mamedyarov- Winner of the World Cup

Anish Giri- 2nd Place in World Cup

Vishy Anand- 1st Place in the Grand Prix

Sergey Karjakin- 2nd Place in the Grand Prix

Ding Liren- Highest Rating

MVL- 2nd Highest Rating

Hikaru Nakamura- Wild Card

Results, just placing

1. Ding Liren

2. Fabiano Carauna

3. Shakhriyar Mamedyarov

4. Sergey Karjakin

5. Anish Giri (all draws, again)

6. MVL

7. Hikaru Nakamura

8. Vishy Anand

I have Ding Liren winning the Candidates and facing Magnus Carlsen in the World Championship

2020 World Championship

Game 1: Ding Liren - Magnus Carlsen 1/2-1/2

Game 2: Magnus Carlsen- Ding Liren 1/2-1/2

Game 3: Ding Liren - Magnus Carlsen 1-0

Game 4: Magnus Carlsen- Ding Liren 1-0

Game 5: Ding Liren - Magnus Carlsen 1/2-1/2

Game 6: Magnus Carlsen- Ding Liren 0-1

Game 7: Ding Liren - Magnus Carlsen 1/2-1/2

Game 8: Magnus Carlsen- Ding Liren 1/2-1/2

Game 9: Ding Liren - Magnus Carlsen 1/2-1/2

Game 10: Magnus Carlsen- Ding Liren 1-0

Game 11: Ding Liren - Magnus Carlsen 1/2-1/2

Game 12: Magnus Carlsen- Ding Liren 0-1

Final: Ding Liren 6.5-5.5

Yes, in 2020, I believe Ding Liren will be our new world champion, replacing Magnus Carlsen! 

klaasvanstrien

So, no So? wink.png

DJ_Bradlezzz
klaasvanstrien wrote:

So, no So?

Yeah, I just forgot to put him in, as with Duda, they could both differently make the Candidates, and even maybe the WCC. I just forgot. happy.png

neverherebefore

I am from the future. The 2020 match was played aboard the ISS which got sucked into a micro black hole just as Nakamura was about to checkmate Carlsen in game 12 clinching the championship.  Thus ended chess and chess variations forever. 

DJ_Bradlezzz
neverherebefore wrote:

I am from the future. The 2020 match was played aboard the ISS which got sucked into a micro black hole just as Nakamura was about to checkmate Carlsen in game 12 clinching the championship.  Thus ended chess and chess variations forever. 

It would be fun to see, but with Nakas dismal record vs. Carlsen, I doubt it would happen, but anythings possible. 

fabelhaft

"Vishy Anand- 1st Place in the Grand Prix"

Anand has never played the Grand Prix series before, and I don't think he will do it this time either. Too many tournaments to sign up for that he'd rather not play. I'd go with this field:

Caruana 

Mamedyarov 

Giri 

MVL

So 

Ding Liren 

Aronian 

And then a wild card, that Kramnik probably can count on getting again if he doesn't fall too far down on the rating list. If not, it could be a Candidates without Russian participants. It's been three Russians on average the last four Candidates. As winner my guess is Aronian.

fabelhaft

It's even possible with a Candidates field like this: Caruana, Ding Liren, MVL, So, Giri, Anand, Nakamura, Yu Yangyi, and suddenly the whole Candidates would be without not only Russians but citizens of post-Soviet countries. When Carlsen won in 2013 the other seven participants were Kramnik, Svidler, Grischuk, Gelfand, Aronian, Radjabov, Ivanchuk...

klaasvanstrien
DJ_Bradlezzz schreef:
klaasvanstrien wrote:

So, no So?   Yes, I forgot 'Duda' as well happy.png  I really hope He will make it to. Would be really interesting happy.png

Yeah, I just forgot to put him in, as with Duda, they could both differently make the Candidates, and even maybe the WCC. I just forgot.