Forums

I just got rated 956 on my first uscf tournament

assassin3752

a wise old man once said "dont judge where a person lives online by their flag on chess.com."

DreamscapeHorizons

I think that was Confucious that said that.  I'm not from Liechtenstein either.

sholom90
SebastianRock42 wrote:

im 1200 on chess.com is that bad for 1200

Same thing with me!

I played in my first tourney in July, and just this weekend played in my 5th tourney.  I'm 956, while on chess.com I am 782 blitz, 1142 rapid, 1600 daily (obviously, I do better the longer I have time to think!  Probably because I'm an older guy).

I find in OTB I play a pretty solid game, but make one or two tactical-type mistakes over 40 moves and then -- boom -- it's all over.

I've met a few other folks who seem to be 200+ points higher here on chess.com than their USCF rating.

(BTW: I *love* OTB tournaments!  So so much better than playing online)

B1ZMARK
sholom90 wrote:
SebastianRock42 wrote:

im 1200 on chess.com is that bad for 1200

I've met a few other folks who seem to be 200+ points higher here on chess.com than their USCF rating.

(BTW: I *love* OTB tournaments!  So so much better than playing online)

Same! Every time a tournament finishes i always have a slight withdrawal symptom and I want to immediately throw myself in another one.

DreamscapeHorizons

It's hard to convince chess players who only play online how much better and more fun real otb rated tournaments are. The ones I know that finally jumped into otb rated competition always like the real tournaments better.

B1ZMARK

There’s nothing better than sitting there for hours and having the luxury of thinking over each of your moves. 

ricorat

Yeah online it’s hard to get long games, and when you do they make your eyes tired. OTB is a lot funner because you have time to think, and the people there are usually better players because they go out of their way to play grin.png

sholom90

Just checked in with a friend of mine who I saw at a tournament just this past weekend in Philly -- same thing.  He's 1250-ish USCF, and 1550-ish in rapid here on chess.com

sholom90
B1ZMARK wrote:

There’s nothing better than sitting there for hours and having the luxury of thinking over each of your moves. 

Yep!  Last weekend I played OTB, and the time control was 40/90, SD 30, +30.  My first game was four hours.  

When I was done, I felt drained and exhilarated at the same time.  I felt like my brain was glowing -- kind of like how one's muscles feel after a hard physical workout.  I certainly haven't gotten that feeling playing online!

B1ZMARK
sholom90 wrote:
B1ZMARK wrote:

Yep!  Last weekend I played OTB, and the time control was 40/90, SD 30, +30.  My first game was four hours.  

When I was done, I felt drained and exhilarated at the same time.  I felt like my brain was glowing -- kind of like how one's muscles feel after a hard physical workout.  I certainly haven't gotten that feeling playing online!

was it in tennessee? or somewhere else. (thanksgiving weekend, right?)

B1ZMARK
ricorat wrote:

Yeah online it’s hard to get long games, and when you do they make your eyes tired. OTB is a lot funner because you have time to think, and the people there are usually better players because they go out of their way to play

as long as you don't go to a backwards place like mississippi you can find lots of nearby tournaments on uschess.org.

ricorat
B1ZMARK wrote:
ricorat wrote:

Yeah online it’s hard to get long games, and when you do they make your eyes tired. OTB is a lot funner because you have time to think, and the people there are usually better players because they go out of their way to play

as long as you don't go to a backwards place like mississippi you can find lots of nearby tournaments on uschess.org.

Wait ima go through Mississippi next year so thanks!

B1ZMARK
ricorat wrote:
B1ZMARK wrote:
ricorat wrote:

why mississippi is pain i've been there on my way to various tennessee tournaments

ricorat
B1ZMARK wrote:
ricorat wrote:
B1ZMARK wrote:
ricorat wrote:

why mississippi is pain i've been there on my way to various tennessee tournaments

Because my parents wants to go to the lower 48. At least it’ll be a quick stop

sholom90
B1ZMARK wrote:
sholom90 wrote:
B1ZMARK wrote:

was it in tennessee? or somewhere else. (thanksgiving weekend, right?)

Tourney was in Philadelphia. 

There are a couple of big tournaments there per year!  July 4th weekend is the biggest one (called the World Open -- over 1000 competed in it his year), Thanksgiving Weekend, and there will be one on MLK weekend

jetoba
SebastianRock42 wrote:

should i copy and paste pgn because most were either unrated or 400

Your very first US rating will be based off of your opponents ratings.  Add the ratings of all the opponents you played a rated game against, add 400 per win, subtract 400 per loss, and then divide by the number of rated games played.  If all of them were rated in the 400s then even winning every game would only put you in the 800s.  The unrated opponents would have their ratings calculated in a first (of many passes) based on their performance until all unrated players have a tentative rating to be used for the calculations and then the real calculation is done.

There is a special proviso for those who won or lost all the games.  Then the players first rating is either 400 above the highest rated opponent (for all wins) or 400 below the lowest rated opponent (for all losses - remember there is still the absolute floor of 100).

If you had a perfect score and your highest rated opponent (going into the final pass) was 556 then you end up at 956.

US Chess ratings are not considered to be established until 26 rated games have been played (or more if the play won all of them or lost all of them).  Prior to that they are considered provisional and not fully trustworthy.  So your 956 provisional rating is a temporary number that explicitly says you may be noticeably stronger or weaker and the rating system simply doesn't have enough information yet for a better number.