Forums

Ouachita memorial fun tournament (freestyle)

Sort:
Polar_Bear

You can register here.

Also feel free to write your opinions, etc.

Shivsky

Cute. Fun and games apart => the last time I checked, a TD does not have authority to tell people to turn on their engines, nor would people be blooming idiots and do so because you told them they could. 

If they haven't already, I think the chess.com staff would like a word with you ...

TheGrobe

As long as it's unrated and everyone agrees beforehand there's no problem turning your engines on for this.

Nytik

Yes, this tournament is perfectly legal, due to the condition Games Rated: No.

Engines are only banned in rated play.

TheGrobe
Nytik wrote:

Yes, this tournament is perfectly legal, due to the condition Games Rated: No.

Engines are only banned in rated play.

You also need the consent of your opponent prior to the game, for which I'd say the tournament's description certainly qualifies.

Polar_Bear

I see no interest. OK, ladies and gentlemen, if registration will not be completed complete before end of December, i am going to cancel this tournament.

CPawn

Nothing says freedom like encouraging people to cheat.  There are enough cheaters here already.

TheGrobe

It's not cheating if it's agreed to and the games are unrated.

Skwerly

Playing engine vs engine can be fun, gang!  :)

ASpieboy
Skwerly wrote:

Playing engine vs engine can be fun, gang!  :)

How?

conman1000
mike456784 wrote:

thegrobe be quiet don't say that he may of not of noticed that he put the games on unrated or he might be tricking people

mike, read the earlier posts! It's quite obvious he knows he put it on unrated, and how on earth can he trick people?

ADK

Just curious, why are we having a memorial in honor of a cheater?

ADK

nqi

Thank you to conman, thegrobe and nytik for some common sense on this issue. If people know what they're signing up to (which they do, or they have no excuse for not knowing) and the games are unrated, then this tournament is perfectly legal. Polarbear, I am sorry that so few people seem to know the rules involved here, but thank you for your efforts.

It seems to me that holding these tournaments is actually good for preventing chess.com cheating as 1) It makes it absolutely clear that computer use is cheating, if a seperate agreement and unrated games are the only things making it illegal and 2) It gives the staff here free "target practice" to test whatever technology they use to discover the real computer cheats. Thank you again polarbear for your initiative and clear knowledge of the rules.

TheGrobe
mike456784 wrote:

conman you can trick people by when everyone joins you could change the games to rated and it doesn't mean he's going to do it

To what end?  Even if this did happen surely there would be enough common sense applied to recognize the extenuating circumstances by which both you and your opponent were duped into using an engine in a rated game you thought was unrated and to offer amnesty for all but the tournament organizer.  The whole notion just seems a little paranoiac.

costelus

I don't understand TheGrobe why you pay attention to high-school teenagers who have real troubles formulating a single phrase in English. Of course, I never said that the phrase should have some logic, this is a much difficult requirement.

As for this tournament, I remember Kiril, Achmatova and others praising the benefits of cyborg-chess. They complained that chess.com does not set up a centaur league. Well, I guess the answer is clear: there are no players interested in playing fair advanced chess. I bet that this tourney will not get more than 5 registrants (even that would be a tremendous success).

nqi
costelus wrote:

As for this tournament, I remember Kiril, Achmatova and others praising the benefits of cyborg-chess. They complained that chess.com does not set up a centaur league. Well, I guess the answer is clear: there are no players interested in playing fair advanced chess. I bet that this tourney will not get more than 5 registrants (even that would be a tremendous success).

If that is the case, there is no harm in him running the tournament Smile

EternalChess

Might as well have a Deep Blue Memorial.. or some other Memorial..

considering Ouachita used an engine.. why not do a memorial for an actual engine.. since the engine itself did all the work, ouachita just made the moves.

WuGambinoKillaBee

screw ouchita and his legit lookin account

bigpoison

Where are LindaDane and Eastendboy?  How come they haven't yet registered for this tournament?  Where are the thousands who have been waiting to play "advanced chess"?

Oh, yeah, it's unrated, that's why.  Were it rated, though, the thousands would appear because "advanced chess" is soooooo much fun.

ASpieboy

Why don't you all just put "I USE ENGINES - BAN ME!!!!" on your profile?