Player with 1940 rating in 1200-1499 tournament?!

TripkoTripic

Okay, I understand that someone can increase his rating points during the tournament and get over the allowed limit that makes you qualify for that one, but how on earth can a player rated 1940 play against me in the second round of the 1200-1499 tournament?! His rating jumped for 500 points in first round?

Nah. Can someone explain this? I registered few days ago and that was my first loss so far in the rapid section so I am really pissed off right now. His profile stats are on the pic.

Thanks.null

notmtwain
TripkoTripic wrote:

Okay, I understand that someone can increase his rating points during the tournament and get over the allowed limit that makes you qualify for that one, but how on earth can a player rated 1940 play against me in the second round of the 1200-1499 tournament?! His rating jumped for 500 points in first round?

Nah. Can someone explain this? I registered few days ago and that was my first loss so far in the rapid section so I am really pissed off right now. His profile stats are on the pic.

Thanks.

Because if you looked at the results, you would have seen that it was an open tournament and not a 1200-1499 tournament. You may have registered for a lower section but there probably weren't enough players to run a separate section.

Your opponent's rating actually dropped during the tournament .(He started at 1930 and finished at 1927.) He lost to a cheater in the final round who started the tournament rated 1027.

https://www.chess.com/tournament/live/300-rapid-quad-985212

TripkoTripic

So if there's not enough players people with higher rating can jump in? There was another tournament at the same time and it was open.

notmtwain
TripkoTripic wrote:

So if there's not enough players people with higher rating can jump in? There was another tournament at the same time and it was open.

I think that it is something the chess.com admins manage. What criteria and cutoffs they use isn't clear to me.

TripkoTripic

Okay, thanks for your time!

manekapa
Did you join this live tournament from an iPhone?