The Women's World Chess Championship of 2012

Here is Huang Qian eliminating Irina Krush from the tournament:

Quite a pawn formation Qian achieved.

Our final winner of the day to move on to the quarterfinals is Ju Wenjun, eliminating Natalia Zhukova:

Here are my picks for the final:

Antoaneta Stefanova vs Nadezhda Kosintseva

Of course, I may have just jinxed themLaughing

Not impressed by Zhukova's endgame play there at all. May as well resign as trade rooks, surely she knows the pawn endgame is hopeless.

Scottrf wrote:

Not impressed by Zhukova's endgame play there at all. May as well resign as trade rooks, surely she knows the pawn endgame is hopeless.

Yes, it was odd the way she traded rooks? It seemed by move 30 that white had a big advantage at this level with the queen pawns disappearing for black.

THETUBESTER wrote:

Why isn't the Chinese men in chess just as strong as the women? 

The men have had two 2700 players, whereas Yifan Hou's best rating was 2639.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chess_in_China

THETUBESTER wrote:
    trysts wrote:
    THETUBESTER wrote:

Why isn't the Chinese men in chess just as strong as the women? 

The men have had two 2700 players, whereas Yifan Hou's best rating was 2639.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chess_in_China

So you are not in favor of binding Chinese men's feet? 

Doesn't it seem that there is much more stronger ( in general ) Chinese women than men?

Sorry, but I don't joke about those things, THETUBESTER.

Ohhhhh, tubey got told!

I'm not angry, John. It's just my view.

Ha!

She's not angry, just disappointed.

I was speaking about the horrible practice of binding the feet, to be clear. But, I would have to disagree w/ you about Chinese women doing better than the men, since there are higher rated men than women in China. Isn't that how these things are decided--who has the higher rating?

If you took the top 5 men against the top 5 women in China, the women would win.

Funny. Laughing

THETUBESTER wrote:

Yes, but what about the sexes as a whole?  Chinese women do much better in chess than Chinese men.  If you took the top 5 men against the top 5 women in China, the women would win. 

Side note: what shoe size do you wear?

I would say that Yifan Hou can beat all the top guys in China, but I would also say they can beat her. In the Gibralter tournament this year(best tournament I've ever watched), Hou beat something like four 2700s. 

Side note: What?!Laughing I can do seven and a half, or eight.

THETUBESTER wrote:

Yes, but what about the sexes as a whole?  Chinese women do much better in chess than Chinese men.  If you took the top 5 men against the top 5 women in China, the women would win. 

?

There are 9 Chinese men above 2600, 1 woman, 22 men above 2500, 5 women.

5th best man; 2682, 5th best woman; 2501.

China finished fourth in the Men's Olympiad and second in the Women's Olympiad. Both were excellent results. China is only slightly behind Russia in terms of playing strength regardless of gender.

Not quite sure why the Chinese Men's team is not respected as much here.

THETUBESTER wrote:

Hmmmm.  That's exactly 4 more than I beat there.  :(

My sister and her husband own a shoe store here in Iowa.  They say that every woman that comes into the store says she's a size 7.....until they bring out a size 7 and my brother in law realizes he should be easing the woman's foot into the shoe box instead of the shoe.

Laughing

Also, as others are pointing out the strength of the Chinese men and women at chess, it should be noted that in the 2012 Biel International tournament this past August, Wang Hao finished first in a field which included Carlsen, Giri, and Nakamura.

THETUBESTER wrote:

I respect the men's team, but i feel comparatively speaking, the women edge them out a little.  Pay no mind to Scott's facts.  Facts are useless tools to dissuade someone into believing falsehoods.   :(

Yes, facts are the rocks that children throw at fictionLaughing

THETUBESTER wrote:

Is Wang a boy or girl?  Guessing by the American take on that name, probably boy?

You really think Carlsen has finished behind a girl in a tournament in the past decade?

THETUBESTER wrote:
    Scottrf wrote:
    THETUBESTER wrote:

Is Wang a boy or girl?  Guessing by the American take on that name, probably boy?

You really think Carlsen has finished behind a girl in a tournament in the past decade?

I did read somewhere that Kosteniuk destroyed him in a blitz tournament a couple years ago? 

or Join

Online Now