Forums

The Women's World Chess Championship of 2012

Sort:
trysts

Hi. I searched through the forums and could not find any threads on the WWCC tournament, so I thought I would start one for those who are following it like myself. 

The official site is here: http://chess2012.ugrasport.com/

The tournament lasts the rest of November, and into December. Where I live, the tournament starts daily at about 3:00am, so I won't be able to watch it everyday live. 

The tournament started with 64 women yesterday, paired off into 32 matches of two games each, with tie-breakers used in case the mini-match does not produce a winner.

I want to see Yifan Hou against either Anna Muzychuk, Natalija Poginina, or Kateryna Lahno. in the final;) I don't want another Humpy-Hou final, but that's just me.

One of the commentators at the original site is former world chess champion Alexandr Khalifman.

Whenever I have any thoughts on the tournament I'll put them here--like the bizarre post-match press conference with Ju Wenjun yesterday(which could have been a translation problem), or Anastasia Bodnaruk's win with a two rook sacrifice yesterday. 

If anyone has any comments during this month long tournament, you'll know that at least one person is reading them(me)Smile

Thanks! 

CalamityChristie

bizarre press conference, trysts!!!!  must look at that!  my favourite player Sopiko Guramishvili is not playing so that's a bit of a disaster so it's gotta be Ju Wenjun all the way!

trysts

She seemed very nervous during the press conference, and I couldn't tell if there was a translation problem. But, at one point she was asked a simple question, she paused to consider it, then started laughing. She didn't say anything at all. Hardly coherent, the five minute Q&A was really uncomfortable to watch.

trysts
CalamityChristie wrote:

bizarre press conference, trysts!!!!  must look at that!  my favourite player Sopiko Guramishvili is not playing so that's a bit of a disaster so it's gotta be Ju Wenjun all the way!

What's the story on Sopiko Guramishvili, Chris?

trysts

FYI: Olga Girya, who is playing this moment, confirmed at yesterday's press conference, that Rybka was actually named after her!

CalamityChristie
trysts wrote:
CalamityChristie wrote:

What's the story on Sopiko Guramishvili, Chris?

i expected her to be in that, trysts. must check out why she's missing it.

(could be translation problems at the interview, i've translated from Chinese for a few years and it's challenging)

i'm gonna be really busy all week, but i'll try to find the best games of the day and put up a few diagrams late into the evening, GMT time here.

trysts

Hi AnthonyCG. What do you mean?

trysts

That would be neat Chris!

trysts

Hi Samsch. Yes, in yesterday's press conference a person asked her if the rumour was true that Rybka was named after and created for her as a training tool by an admirer. She said something like it wasn't made especially for her, but it was named after her(nickname). She also said she will not use HoudiniLaughing

pdela

I bet Anna Muzychuk will win,  20$ on Muzychuck

trysts

That was a pretty complex game! I think I'd have to study it for a while to figure out all the stuff I can't see. Thanks for posting it!

trysts
pdela wrote:

She's really good, pdela. I'd love to see her play Yifan. But twenty dollars is too much money. Some of us were not born rich, pdelaLaughing

pdela
trysts escribió:
pdela wrote:

She's really good, pdela. I'd love to see her play Yifan. But twenty dollars is too much money. Some of us were not born rich, pdela

I wasn't born rich I've created my own empire

trysts
pdela wrote:
trysts escribió:
pdela wrote:

She's really good, pdela. I'd love to see her play Yifan. But twenty dollars is too much money. Some of us were not born rich, pdela

Oh, so you mean twenty imaginary dollars!Laughing

pdela
trysts escribió:
pdela wrote:
trysts escribió:
pdela wrote:

Oh, so you mean twenty imaginary dollars!

want a spanking?

trysts

Well this is a new and somewhat predictable result: On page one of a thread about the women's world chess championship, a man opens the ever sought-after topic of 'spankings'...Laughing

CalamityChristie

thought that was a spain king with a typo.

ILBCNU

Lame sexist comment #2:

One player cheating in the loo would be difficult since they probably would go together.

ozzie_c_cobblepot

TRYSTS

Scottrf
Samsch wrote:
ozzie_c_cobblepot wrote:

TRYSTS

What?

You're Samsch.