Forums

The Women's World Chess Championship of 2012

Sort:
Scottrf

Seems like Konitseva missed a tactic with 2 double attacks? What was she worried about to move the king?

trysts

Well, the only thing I can think of is that Nadezhda thought she was playing her sisterLaughing

Scottrf

Surely gxf6 is the first move you calculate with the pawn fork?

Must have just stopped short with the calculation?

trysts

That's a neat combination, Scottrf!

Scottrf

The millions of hours on TT paying off Wink

But seriously you wouldn't expect a GM to miss it?

trysts

Since it was the 36th move, perhaps there was time troubleUndecided

trysts

Ju Wenjun and Huang Qian are playing on, even though Khalifman is getting annoyedLaughing One of the good things about being up so early in the morning to watch this tournament is that the bakery next to my home has yummy pastries! So, I just came back from getting a delicious blueberry bagel fresh out of the oven! MmmmmmmWink 

trysts
THETUBESTER wrote:
pfren wrote:
THETUBESTER wrote:

That does stink - all the Americans are ousted.  At least we know that we will have a new champion, which is kind of cool.

Really? To my poor knowledge, the winner of this tournament will play Hou Yifan next year for the crown.

If Hou won, she would play next year against Humpy (again).

Interesting.  So if Hou didn't play in this tournament, would she lose her crown? 

This must be different than the way the men's qualifier is set up?  I thought its always that they have a knockout tournament to decide who the challenger will be, and then the top challenger plays the champion.  The women's setup is different?  Maybe I should be googling this stuff.

Yifan Hou already lost her crown in the second round. She will get a chance to get it back when she plays the winner of this tournament in 2013Wink

Scottrf

The men compete in a candidates tournament, the current champion doesn't compete, the tournament is for the right to face him.

trysts

Okay, so Wenjun and Qian agreed to a draw. Also, Harika and Zhao had a draw earlier. In tomorrow's second game, former champion Stefanova has to win w/ the white pieces against Marie Sebag in order to remain in the tournament, while the other three matches ended in draw today, so we'll see what happensWink Fun stuff!

Scottrf

I don't think Yifan competing for the 2013 title is anything to do with her being the former champ, but that she won the FIDE Grand Prix.

Humpy I guess because she was the previous person to challenge for the title, but I don't know.

trysts
THETUBESTER wrote:

So Scott, the women don't have this? This tournament decides who the champion is?  And then the new champion has to rematch the former champ next year?  And if the current champ ( Hou ) had won this tournament, she would have had to play Humpy next year?  Why Humpy?  Confusing stuff.  Wonder why it isn't set up like the men's dealio.

I make the same mistake, but it isn't the men's candidate's tournament, but an open candidate's tournament which happened to have all men. The women's world championship tournament is an exclusive, gender-based tournament. Both tournaments are actually experiments in trying to get more of an audience for chess, as far as I understand it. In 2014, we could see a completely different format for both events.Wink

Scottrf

Open tournament, mens tournament.

Tomáto, tomato Wink

(Sorry Judit)

trysts

Here's a horrifying little tidbit: Marie Sebag was in the French version of reality television's "Big Brother", called "Secret Story"! 

http://www.chessblog.com/2012/05/marie-sebag-takes-chess-secret-to.html

(I blame pdela for this)

trysts
Scottrf wrote:

Open tournament, mens tournament.

Tomáto, tomato

(Sorry Judit)

Archaic thoughts are also welcome(for amusement)Laughing

CalamityChristie

it's a great system, we know the men's event gives us a final with dudes many years past their sell-by date.

trysts

It's not a men's tournament.

CalamityChristie

true! they're more kiddies

pdela

hehehehe, the only running horse is mine

trysts
pdela wrote:

hehehehe, the only running horse is mine

Pdela! Barcelona against Spartak Moscow in two hours!!!