Forums

Welcome to the Tournaments Discussion Forum

Sort:
EnochianVoice

Looks reasonable to me! :D I feel like i am doing well in the tourney, hope this does not jinx it or sumpin'! Good way to look at it quickly and see the performance so far a bit more quickly, artfizz! The only drawback quickly seen is putting the slower players out front off the jump- whatever- each way will take "a closer look" to get a full pic of the tournament so far.

artfizz

Ideally, if the extra columns (Played, Lost and Win%) were displayed AND the table was SORTable on various columns, everyone would be happy. Wink

tenementfunster
DW_Read wrote:
no dont kick them out if the tournament has already started and they have gone over or under the target rating that just creates complications, what should happen is if a player goes Over or Under the target range, before the tournament has started, then they should be promoted/relegated to the appropiate tournament league....

i quoted the above as it applies to me. i was unfortunate to win a game or two before a tournament started and was 'promoted' to the higher tier. i feel totally out of my depth or playing ability call it what you will but i cant see the point of playing on when i shall lose just about every match i play. i have and always will consider every game i play as an enjoyable learning experience but not necessarily in a competition. i'm just fodder! practise for better players to tone their better playing abilit y.

xiii-Dex
tenementfunster wrote:
DW_Read wrote:
no dont kick them out if the tournament has already started and they have gone over or under the target rating that just creates complications, what should happen is if a player goes Over or Under the target range, before the tournament has started, then they should be promoted/relegated to the appropiate tournament league....

i quoted the above as it applies to me. i was unfortunate to win a game or two before a tournament started and was 'promoted' to the higher tier. i feel totally out of my depth or playing ability call it what you will but i cant see the point of playing on when i shall lose just about every match i play. i have and always will consider every game i play as an enjoyable learning experience but not necessarily in a competition. i'm just fodder! practise for better players to tone their better playing abilit y.

this has been discussed. The idea is that you have to be within the rating range when entering, but can be a certain amount (maybe 25) outside at the start

tenementfunster
BlackNight_13 wrote:
tenementfunster wrote:
DW_Read wrote:

this has been discussed. The idea is that you have to be within the rating range when entering, but can be a certain amount (maybe 25) outside at the start

tenementfunster

thanks for your reply blacknight i can see a certain logic with having say a 25 or so point spread. the tournament i am engaged in has i think 1000 players at my tier including players from 1601 to 1800. i dont really understand the group arrangement but i guess the winners from the first round play in a group again and so on? it seems a long way to go with groups of 6 or 8 or however many it is, surely a rating range of only a 100 would produce less groups and more evenly matched players. just a thought as i am sure all the options would have been explored before setting up the tournament. tf

xiii-Dex
tenementfunster wrote:

thanks for your reply blacknight i can see a certain logic with having say a 25 or so point spread. the tournament i am engaged in has i think 1000 players at my tier including players from 1601 to 1800. i dont really understand the group arrangement but i guess the winners from the first round play in a group again and so on? it seems a long way to go with groups of 6 or 8 or however many it is, surely a rating range of only a 100 would produce less groups and more evenly matched players. just a thought as i am sure all the options would have been explored before setting up the tournament. tf

The thing is, they won't start the tournament until it is full anyways.

dan_uu

I don't know if anyone will see this because it's posted at the end, and I don't know if I'll ever get a response if someone responds, but what is a timeout ratio?  I try to join tourneys all the time, but it always says my timeout ratio needs to be lower than 10%.  What does this mean, and how can I lower it?

Thanks

Skand

Time out ratio is the ratio of games in which you timed out (lost due to not making a move within stipulated time) and total games you have played. So if you have timed out in 5 games and the total number of games played by you is 50, your time out ratio will be 10%.

HTH.

WALELELAW

Hi. I've just registered and would like to join a tournament. But all the tournament requires 5 or 10 tournament completed. 

If I can't start I will never have any tournament completed.

Do you have any suggestion?

Thanks

kohai

The 5 or 10 completed means online games, not tournaments.

In order to be able to enter a tournament, you have to have played and completed 5 rated online games without any of them being lost (by you) due to running out of time.

This page explains how to get started with playing

dan_uu
Skand wrote:

Time out ratio is the ratio of games in which you timed out (lost due to not making a move within stipulated time) and total games you have played. So if you have timed out in 5 games and the total number of games played by you is 50, your time out ratio will be 10%.

HTH.

Thank you

Frite_Knight

What about an unsanctioned tournament? Would you play in one? Why or Why not?

Frite_Knight

I want to sponsor a local tournament... I have the place... I have prize money... I even have a market... Everyone I talk to about it shows genuine interest... Do I need to have it sanctioned?

Frite_Knight

Why do tournaments have to be so "formal"? Why can't we have for a lack of a better phrase a "street tournament"? Open to all... No rankings... Best of three to move on... Of course, we'll award 1/2 points for stalemates and we can can certainly prepare for even the most unlikely of events... Would anybody here spend twenty-five bucks and two days of their lives to play chess if it were unsanctioned?

kennylyn

how can i join tournaments?

Skand

Click on My Home and then Tournaments. Check out Upcoming Tournaments.

smileative

how do I get this forum OFF my bloody 'forums I have posted' list - it seems to have commandeered top spot, an' I can't get rid of it ! Embarassed

kohai

are you tracking it ?

smileative

nope, but it got some little blue marker stuck next to it Embarassed