Forums

Welcome to the Tournaments Discussion Forum

Sort:
neb-c

Could gold members be allowed to make 5 tournaments per month with 100 max players and platinum have 25 per month.

futility

I am relatively new to chess.com and to tournaments. The question I have is about tournaments with rating limitation and whether there should not be some changes to make the playing field level so to speak.  I have made comments in a couple of ways but am not getting anywhere.  When new players to chess.com enter ratings limited tournaments after having played few games their rating if often way off and it results in an inequity.  In the first tournament I entered 1201 to 1400 an example is the winner of a group in the first round whose rating quickly went up and is now 1723 while his competition is 1317 to 1435.  This would be easy to change to have the number of games played raised to at least 10, preferably 15 and have it apply to all members.  I believe most people are not aware of this and would not be happy to realize this inequity.  I know others have commented on this.  Could this be changed?

SoleOwl

I would say: you have to have a fast move ratio to enter, say at least : every 3 hrs or better.

Only a guess .

shqiponia

I would like to participate in a tournament but I haven't yet. I'm a fairly new member and need help with this. How do you join a tournament? What is the time limit? What does "Format" mean, and whatever else you can tell. I'd appreciate it if someone could pm me with the answers. Thank you

rwhcj225

I tried to start a tournament, but only one other  person has signed up so far. It has been over a week. There does not seem to be much interest. Is there a way to unlist or cancel the tournament.

hansgg

What happens if i decide to withdraw in the middle of a tournament because i am leaving on a very long holiday and  i havent got enough vacation to use 

Hugh_T_Patterson

Thanks guys! Once again the staff goes beyond the call of duty!

artfizz
odd wrote:

I know this is a very very newb question, but I mostly play live chess, and just started playing online chess on this site. If you join a tournament, and you lose a couple games, does that affect your rating at all? I know if you win the tourny, then there are bonus points, but if you lose, do you lose any rating points? Thanks.

Rating points are gained or lost on EVERY rated game - inside or outside a tournament - UNLESS the game is too short (3 moves or less).

The bonus points you gain for being placed (1st - and sometimes 2nd or 3rd, depending on tournaments size) are TOURNAMENT POINTS. These are nothing to do with rating points. They are used in calculating Tie Break points - which determine your final position in the tournament ONLY if you are level on game score (1 point for a win; half a point for a draw) with someone else in your tournament group.

chiefster

Nice job staff.

shane97

If you are Basic exactly how many tourements can you be in?

skmoorthy08

Hi frnds wat r the required things to play tournament

killer-2
artfizz wrote:
odd wrote:

I know this is a very very newb question, but I mostly play live chess, and just started playing online chess on this site. If you join a tournament, and you lose a couple games, does that affect your rating at all? I know if you win the tourny, then there are bonus points, but if you lose, do you lose any rating points? Thanks.

Rating points are gained or lost on EVERY rated game - inside or outside a tournament - UNLESS the game is too short (4 moves or less).

The bonus points you gain for being placed (1st - and sometimes 2nd or 3rd, depending on tournaments size) are TOURNAMENT POINTS. These are nothing to do with rating points. They are used in calculating Tie Break points - which determine your final position in the tournament ONLY if you are level on game score (1 point for a win; half a point for a draw) with someone else in your tournament group.

It's 3 moves or less

killer-2
hansgg wrote:

What happens if i decide to withdraw in the middle of a tournament because i am leaving on a very long holiday and  i havent got enough vacation to use 

you lose all your current games

killer-2
shane97 wrote:

If you are Basic exactly how many tourements can you be in?

1 at a time

kamrankolivand
jay wrote:i am very weak in chess is someone toplay me hardly,thnks

Please use this forum category to post all your ideas/questions/comments/etc about tournaments. We hope you enjoy the new feature...and the new forum!

donngerard

ok thanks

Tiger-13

happy new year to all here at chess.com

Tiger-13

lol

Tiger-13

go 2009!

MastaOfDisastaa

Is there any tournament I can enter with a time-out rate of 50 percent??