Forums

Welcome to the Tournaments Discussion Forum

Sort:
rooperi
DAchessmaster99 wrote:

i know that free members don't support chess.com much, but is it possible for chess.com to allow basic members to play two tournaments at a time?

I'm actually in favour of this. A new member joins, looks around, and joins the first tournament he can, without realising the implications of time per move, vacation/no vacation, number of players etc, and finds himself unable to join another tourney for months or more.

Maybe allow a tournament every three months, or so?

Nowe86

I just think is STUPID, VERY VERY STUPID, to have a player play a certain number of online chess games before actually join a tournement!

If you want experienced players you can just make use of the rating level, or at least consider the number of LIVE chess games, much faster and (according to me) enjoyable.

EvenDeeperBlue

I was wondering if more filters or search facilities could be added to the tournament list, to make it easier to find suitable tournaments? For example, I am currently only interested in tournaments of at least 3 days per move, with vacation time allowed.

EDIT: I am also not interested in thematic tournaments nor Chess 960 currently. It would be great if I could customise my search to filter all of these out.

smifffy

On the My Online Tournaments page , it would be nice to see your current progress , eg . through to next round , eliminated , in progress  , at a glance rather than having to click on each tourney .

Giganotosaurus

Does anyone know if Archbadger is still alive?  He only made one move in our tournament game last month!  The referee should declare him legally dead for chess purposes.

Also, when was the last time that someone saw Klimto alive?

Yours truly,

Emmett Smith

artfizz
EmmettSmith wrote:

Does anyone know if Archbadger is still alive?  He only made one move in our tournament game last month!  The referee should declare him legally dead for chess purposes.

Also, when was the last time that someone saw Klimto alive?

Yours truly,

Emmett Smith

ArchBadger - Last Online: 8/28/2010

Klimto - Last Online: 7/3/2010

DarkFlagg

I have a question about a tournament I'm in right now. There's a member in my bracket who is a diamond member and joined the tournament with zero games played. This member has also not made a single move in the tournament and his vacation time has kicked in because his diamond membership saved him from timing out. It says that diamond members have somewhere around 90 days vacation time. I don't know if this was asked anywhere before, but if this member doesn't check in and make a move, how long should I expect to wait before he's timed out?

I don't really like winning on time in any game--I'd much rather play the game to the end (or resignation), but I at least want my games to start in the first place.

Kacparov

I don't see it

cablecar

Hello from Mr. Newguy.  How are matches scheduled, I saw a listing form a tournament that is 99% complete, but started in March of 99.  Am I reading this right?  I read the faqs, but still could not figure it out.  Sure would not want to be in a tourney with out an end in sight, please explain.

kohai

Which tournament is it?

theblindtiger

The timeout ratio rule for premium members making teams stinks.

cablecar

I read the faqs.  How do I figure out when matches are played, and how long a tournament is likely to last.  How are matches assigned and how are players notified of their playing times.

artfizz
SENIORBLUNDER wrote: I read the faqs.  How do I figure out when matches are played, and how long a tournament is likely to last.  

There's no advance notice - but you'll get a message (and optionally an email, depending on your alert settings) when the tournaments actually starts. 

Make a guess how long it likely to take, depending on number of participants, how many days per move, whether games are played concurrently, whether vacation is allowed, the move speed of the players, etc. Assume months - at least.

SENIORBLUNDER wrote:   How are matches assigned and how are players notified of their playing times.

Members are allocated to groups in a round-robin fashion: highest rating to the 1st group, 2nd highest to the 2nd group, and so on.

Tournaments games are added to your single list of games - so you'll get the standard notification when it's your move.

turin56

I have noticed that the rating filter on player organized tournaments does not work.  I am in several tournaments right now, some of which I organized myself, where people have ratings higher or lower than those allowed.  Does it only filter players when they register and not when the tournament begins?  Or does it not really do anything at all and we are on the honor system?

Kacparov

I don't know :(

kohai

If a player is rated 1750 (for example) when he joins a 1601 - 1800 tournament, then while waiting for the tournament to start, wins some of his standard games, his ratings increases and possibly goes above 1800. Its up to the tournament director to remove anyone outside of the ratings bracket before the tournament begins.

If its an official Chess.com tournament, he should be automatically be moved to the correct rating bracket group before it beings.

Kacparov

well it happened to me that a 2000 player would join a <1500 tournament or so

kohai

Odd, which tournament ?

Kacparov

I don't remember now, I just remember seeing it :(

Kacparov

I also remember being invited to lower-rated tournaments and I was able to join. It was a few months ago though, maybe 3 or 4. Guess it's fixed now, I didn't see it recently