Forums

Welcome to the Tournaments Discussion Forum

Sort:
ChrizzzKizzz

Hi, do anybody know where I can report a bug?

Regards, Chris

Narz

send an e-mail to bugs@chess.com

ChrizzzKizzz

Thanks Narz ;) Anybody else who discovered problems with conditional moves?? Dont use it, it can be your last move!!

papaorum

I read that group placement is done by having players placed sequentially. Would'nt the "snake" approach be more fair? In the example of 25 players in 5 groups, player 5 is in group 5, player 6 in group, 1 and player 10 in group 5. This seems too nice for player 5 and not fair for player 6. With the "snake" approach, player 5 and 6 would be in the same group instead of player 5 being the first choice followed by player 10 and player 6 being second choice preceeded by player 1.

rabbit100id
[COMMENT DELETED]
ChrizzzKizzz

Yes, snake approach seems to be the best structure..

ChrizzzKizzz

Also agree with above, basic members should be able to play more than one tournment at a time

papaorum
ChrizzzKizzz wrote:

What can we do to change this?

oMirza

Question from member of my team!

He would like withdraw from one tour.so his Q is :''Do I lose my

points or just games,If I withdraw ?

Draxanlee

How do you withdraw from a tournament before starting? (registered by mistake)

kohai
Draxanlee wrote:

How do you withdraw from a tournament before starting? (registered by mistake)

Go into the Tournaments main page, and you should see in your "My Upcoming Tournaments" list, the one you want to withdraw from.

Click on the tournament name. In the new page that opens, on the right side, it'll say "Withdraw".

If you still want to withdraw, you need to do this "Before" the tournament games begin.

Pawnman115

How is the winner of a tournament determined.  Is it the last person standing or is it the person with the most wins (or points)?  I am in a small tournament where I have 4 wins and my opponent has only 1 (because be had no opponent in the last round).  Even if I lose both games I will have 4 points and my opponent will have only 3.  

I assume in large tournaments it is also possible for someone to last longer than someone else with more points, so how are the places determined?

tommy7340

how do you invite players to your tournement?

papaorum
papaorum wrote:
ChrizzzKizzz wrote:

What can we do to change this?

Perhaps nobody cares, and I will understand. However, for the sake principles, what pairing is more fair:

Assume 4 players. First player's rating is 1800, second 1601, third 1600 and last is 1200. Current system pairs first rating of 1800 with third rating of 1600 and second rating of 1601 with last rating of 1200. In that scenario player 2 has a far better chance to move up than player 1. With the "snake" approach, player 1 is paired with player 4 and player 2 with player 3, giving full advantage to player 1 and giving equal chances to player 2 and 3. Perhaps I am not making my point clear, but if interest is shown, I will try to explain again, because I am sure I have a point. All this in light that this site is just great.

neal_58
jay wrote:
no, you don't. but maybe you should. :) I'll have to think about that one! so for now, no, but in the future, maybe :)

Getting back to the subject :) and if i've got this right, I enrolled for the 1801 > band, but before the start I dropped below 1801 and was booted from the touney' are we saying that if I'd gone above 2000 I would still be in the 1801 - 2000 group?

Great site by the way, its rekindled my interest in chess after a very long lay-off

milad1990

Hello!

it's the first tournament that i join.i have a question.If you know please answer my question.

this morning i saw that it's my move . then  i saw an strange thing. i notice that 2 moves has been taken but i do n't know if this is the rule  of this tournament or not?

kohai

milad1990, its called a thematic game :)

Thematic tournaments require all games to start from a pre-defined starting position (such as the first 3 moves of the King's Gambit, for example). This allows players to play similar games and test each other in certain openings

WolfLeader

I have a question, how do you check your timeout radio, im a free member!

kohai

In your online games page right side column it shows

Standard games, Chess960 games, All games

If you look at the details under "All games" it shows Total games, Games in progress and Timeouts

You can see this whether your a premium or basic member :)

kohai

yes its in the help page on the tournaments home :)

If 2 players in a group have the same score then both will advance. Tournament Directors can choose to use an additional tie-break method (we use the Neustadtl score) which factors in the strength of the opponents. If two players have the same score and the same Tie Break score, both will advance.

Below is an example of how the tie breaking system works:
Group #--     1           2           3             Point       Tie Break
1. Bob          X         1 1         0  1            3               4.5
2. John         0 0       X          1  0.5         1.5             2.25
3. Mary        1  0       0.5        0    X         1.5             3.75

A player's tiebreak score is calculated by adding the sum of the player's points they have defeated to half the sum of the player's points they have drawn against.

Bob won two games against John and one game against Mary. So Bob gets 2x1.5 points from John and 1.5 points from Mary, which sums up to 4.5 tiebreak points.

John won one game and drew one game against Mary. So John gets 1.5x1.5 points from Mary, which sums up to 2.25 tiebreak points.

Mary won one game against Bob and drew one game against John. So Mary gets 1x3.0 points from Bob and 0.5x1.5 points from John, which sums up to 3.75 tiebreak points.