Forums

Welcome to the Tournaments Discussion Forum

Sort:
knightbreed

for BILL_5666: I am not a number! I am a free man! Yours is a human number: Five Thousand, Six Hundred and Sixty-Six.

Jippo

I have a suggestion. #1

For such non real-time games as we have here between players around the globe it can be useful to use somehow modified Round-Robin scheme. After sorting the players by theirs ratings and before distributing them among the groups to make "local" optimizing rearrangement (shifts) by the criterion - minimum of difference between players' time zones inside each group. This could speed up the first round as well as next ones (if this option will be applied to them too). I see "local" as constraints for that optimization shifts - this could be maximum allowed rating tolerance (for example inside +-50) or max allowed shift distance between more optimal and pure Round-Robin position (for example +-10% from number of groups: +- 2 for 20 groups, so one player from 7th group according to Round-Robin can be in groups from 5th to 9th after optimization) or both restrictions.

Addition: to ask players on joining the tournament to fill additional fields in their profile - preferable (or usual) time of day when the player will be on server. Time zone is not enough. Someone plays at work in the afternoon while another plays at home in the evening. So to use this more accurate time for adjusting the groups instead of simple timezone.
Jippo

I have a suggestion. #2

Sorry. I had in mind a suggestion about temporary restriction on participation in new tournaments for the players that ignored theirs games in previous tournament. But now after typing it I see such penalty conflicting with the style of chess.com.

nerdie
nerdie wrote: erik wrote:

We are in the middle of building tournaments. We would love to have any and all feedback related to online chess tournaments. Please, share!

I'm just wondering, how long will this tournaments last? I do have a suggestion and this should be effective for tournaments with the same time zone. What if we do it on the guest room of the live chess? 

blitzkriegc5
how about joining my tournament rating >1800 that's cool dude titled "behind enemy lines"  Cool 
Chris5016
lolx,does anybody gt a better  idea??
MM78
I notice that some people's clocks have not started even though their opponents have moved.  So they still have 3 days left. When will their clock start up as if they never move they will never time out?  Similarly if they have not moved as black their clock hasn't started.
kohai
MM78  I asked about that during the KGA tournament - the clock doesn't start until the opponent makes a move. Not sure if that applies to all tournaments but it did with the KGA
MM78
psihrishi wrote: Its the rule!! Clock cant start without the opponents consent.. he must accept the game..

Point taken but this is a tournament with a set start date.  I would suggest that at least after three days the clock should start automatically.  I checked and some of them have been online but not started.  I'm just wondering at what point something will happen as in theory they might never move and yet never time out. 

MM78
I'm also bemused by people who resigned after a couple of book moves, or even no moves at all?  Why not just withdraw? (as you can see I spend far too long looking at these things) 
erik
MM78 wrote: psihrishi wrote: Its the rule!! Clock cant start without the opponents consent.. he must accept the game..

Point taken but this is a tournament with a set start date.  I would suggest that at least after three days the clock should start automatically.  I checked and some of them have been online but not started.  I'm just wondering at what point something will happen as in theory they might never move and yet never time out. 

they will timeout within 3 days

kohai
One guy in my tournament [1st chess.com] hasn't logged in here for the past 7 days.. will his time expire in the tournament if he doesn't make a move ?
nineofjoker
dalmatinac wrote: I organized tournament.It was my mistake.I started tournament but tournament scheduled to be started March 5th.I tried to withdraw you from tournament but then you will lost all games,and rating points.I think other players are also unhappy because scheduled to be started tournament was March 5th.I don't know why I did this.I didn't think on others players.I am sorry    If is possible to cancel this tournament or remove again for March 5th would be nice????
I posted regarding this tournament in the 'Tournament Start Rules' Forum, and Dalmatinic was kind enough to post a response.  Please advise chess.com staff - thanks again for the great site!
shonennk
Hello. I had a question. I'm a fairly new member, and I decided to play a tournament, but thought I should check the FAQs first. I read that free members can only join 1 member tournament. Does it mean 1 a month, 1 a year, or just 1. I'm confused and don't want to just join a random tournament if I can only play 1!
jay
You can only play in 1 AT A TIME. Once it finishes, you can play in another. However, tournaments can last several months.
AJDONLEY

Erik:

This is a blast. So glad I found chess.com. Forgot how much I love the game and how much I've forgotten. First tournament since High School and that was a long time ago. Congrats!! AJD

jay

Regarding some previous posts, please check out:

http://www.chess.com/forum/view/community/change-in-how-game-clocks-start

synergy909

should players be allowed to take vacation during tournament play? 

excalibur8
Why not?
Checkers4Me
because it will hold up other people and then you run the risk of people losing interest. Could be some kind of domino effect.