Welcome to the Tournaments Discussion Forum

Please use this forum category to post all your ideas/questions/comments/etc about tournaments. We hope you enjoy the new feature...and the new forum!

if we joined with a score in the target range and won a few games before the tournament starts, do we get kicket out?
    no, you don't. but maybe you should. :) I'll have to think about that one! so for now, no, but in the future, maybe :)
    can we get implemented other tournament styles? i.e Swiss
    perhaps in the future, but right now no. It's a very big deal to build even one format...so it'll take time before we add more. The problem with swiss, is you can only have one game at a time going for each player, and with turn based chess, those types of tournaments would take a VERY long time.
    no dont kick them out if the tournament has already started and they have gone over or under the target rating that just creates complications, what should happen is if a player goes Over or Under the target range, before the tournament has started, then they should be promoted/relegated to the appropiate tournament league....
    I second the call for more tourney types.  I particularly would like to see knock-out tourneys. 

First of all, thanks to Erik, Jay, and others for this awesome new feature! We appreciate the hard work!

I also second the request for more tournament types, but realize that this will take a long time to be implemented. 

RooksBailey wrote: I second the call for more tourney types.  I particularly would like to see knock-out tourneys. 

well, we do have knock-out tourney (the round-robin ARE knock-out). do you mean bracketted knock-outs? 

I would like to see friends tournaments. If I could create a private one, that I could invite people into I would very much enjoy it. Maybe that is already one of the premium features.
    Lord-Svenstikov wrote: I would like to see friends tournaments. If I could create a private one, that I could invite people into I would very much enjoy it. Maybe that is already one of the premium features.

Yes, it's a platinum/diamond feature.  See the tournaments help page

Thank you Jay, Eric and the rest of Chess.com staff,

This should be great!

SonofPearl wrote: Lord-Svenstikov wrote: I would like to see friends tournaments. If I could create a private one, that I could invite people into I would very much enjoy it. Maybe that is already one of the premium features.

Yes, it's a platinum/diamond feature.  See the tournaments help page

Thanky very muchy :)

There had been started a tournament "Great battles at Chesscom", in january.

I played the first round but was never informed about the second.

Does anyone know wether this tournament is still going on?

Mandelshtam 

Hi guys,

I'd like to know if time is restricted somehow. I mean if one single game is very slow (e.g. 50 moves x 3 days), this can spoil the joy of hundreds of players. Not to mention vacations...

Thx.

aamons wrote:

Hi guys,

I'd like to know if time is restricted somehow. I mean if one single game is very slow (e.g. 50 moves x 3 days), this can spoil the joy of hundreds of players. Not to mention vacations...

Thx.

nope. they can spoil it :) but if they have no chance to win, we can probably advance the round without them :)

Regarding future tournament ideas:

To address concerns regarding rating changes pushing players out of the rating range; is it possible to integrate glicko RD into the tournament 'guidelines'?  Perhaps future tournaments could funnel players with glicko RD over a certain number into (a) a second bracket -or- (b) a second tournament...?

I'm sure there are many considerations to making a change like this, and it wouldn't even 'solve' the problem necessarily.  I do think that this could however improve the perception of 'fairness.'

interesting suggestion! we're thinking on this stuff now...
    Yes, huge thanks/kudos to erik, jay, and all at Chess.com! This was a great site already and the new features are amazing. You'll have my subscription shortly. Good luck to all in the tourneys!
or Join

Online Now