12958 Players currently online!
Man vs. Machine - good luck!
Turn-based games at any time!
Vote for the best move to win!
Do you have what it takes?
Backgammon, Yatzy, and more!
Sharpen your tactical vision!
Get advice and game insights!
Learn from top players & pros!
View millions of master games!
Your virtual chess coach!
Perfect your opening moves!
Test your skills vs. computer!
Find the right private coach!
Can you solve it each day?
Bring it all together!
Beginners, start here!
Make friends & play team games!
News from the world of chess!
Search all Chess.com members!
Find local clubs & events!
Who's the best of your friends?
Read what members are saying!
Michael W. Raphael
New York, NY, United States
I am in the Sociology Department at the Graduate Center of the City University of New York specializing in cognitive sociology. I hold a master's degree in Criminal Justice from Northeastern University where my thesis concerned the problem of learning informal skills for the implementation of community policing. My dissertation, “The Logic of Law and Legal Decision Making” investigates how social life mediates experience and the implications it has for decision-making, with a particular emphasis on law. I teach courses in the sociology of law and criminology at John Jay College of Criminal Justice.
For over a decade, I conducted ethnographic research in the inflatable amusements industry studying the phenomenon of temporality and social interaction. Simultaneously, as an avid chess player, I won 3 State Chess Championships and other honors. I use my deep understanding of chess to bring to light new perspectives in sociology, criminology, semiotics, phenomenology and dramaturgy.
I am also the author of a series of chess books specifically designed for Amazon's Kindle wireless reading device.
About ReViewing Chess(TM):
This series reverts back to a nineteenth century printing technique, cinéma des échecs, to reinvent the chess book as a training tool. Based on a method that not only understands the problems facing those whom attempt to study the game but addresses these problems head on by realizing a framework that eliminates the social obstacles (i.e. friends, family, life in general;) preventing players from recognizing the joy and intellectual satisfaction the study of chess inspires.
The Openings Collection:
1. Alekhine, 2.Nc3 d5 http://www.amazon.com/dp/B0047GMI0I?tag=revcheser-20
2. Alekhine, Exchange http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00480OHCK?tag=revcheser-20
3. Alekhine, Four Pawns Attack http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00480OIJC?tag=revcheser-20
4. Alekhine, Modern http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00480P4YA?tag=revcheser-20
5. Alekhine, Other 3rd Moves http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00486U606?tag=revcheser-20
6. Benko Gambit http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00492CJ4U?tag=revcheser-20
7. Bird Opening http://www.amazon.com/dp/B0049B2CNY?tag=revcheser-20
8. Bishop's Opening http://www.amazon.com/dp/B0049B2DWE?tag=revcheser-20
9. Black Knights' Tango http://www.amazon.com/dp/B0049H8WPU?tag=revcheser-20
10. Bogo-Indian, 4.Bd2 http://www.amazon.com/dp/B0049H8WEG?tag=revcheser-20
11. Bogo-Indian, 4.Nbd2 http://www.amazon.com/dp/B0049U49HM?tag=revcheser-20
12. Budapest Gambit http://www.amazon.com/dp/B0049U4VW0?tag=revcheser-20
13. Caro-Kann, 2.c4 http://www.amazon.com/dp/B004AE3LDA?tag=revcheser-20
14. Caro-Kann, 4...Nd7 http://www.amazon.com/dp/B004AHKE1E?tag=revcheser-20
15. Caro-Kann, 4...Nf6 http://www.amazon.com/dp/B004AHKD0Q?tag=revcheser-20
16. Caro-Kann, Advance http://www.amazon.com/dp/B004ASOU0E?tag=revcheser-20
17. Caro-Kann, Classical http://www.amazon.com/dp/B004ASOTUU?tag=revcheser-20
18. Caro-Kann, Exchange http://www.amazon.com/dp/B004AYCSC0?tag=revcheser-20
19. Caro-Kann, Panov-Botvinnik Attack http://www.amazon.com/dp/B004AYCSLG?tag=revcheser-20
20. Caro-Kann, Two Knights http://www.amazon.com/dp/B004AYCSO8?tag=revcheser-20
21. Catalan, 3...Bb4 http://www.amazon.com/dp/B004A90C96?tag=revcheser-20
22. Catalan, 3...c5 http://www.amazon.com/dp/B004A90CC8?tag=revcheser-20
23. Catalan, Closed http://www.amazon.com/dp/B004AE3ITM?tag=revcheser-20
24. Catalan, Open http://www.amazon.com/dp/B004AHKCLQ?tag=revcheser-20
25. Center Game and Danish Gambit http://www.amazon.com/dp/B004AHKE0U?tag=revcheser-20
26. Colle System http://www.amazon.com/dp/B004APA5YM?tag=revcheser-20
27. Czech Benoni http://www.amazon.com/dp/B004AYCTQK?tag=revcheser-20
28. Dunst Opening http://www.amazon.com/dp/B004AYCTQA?tag=revcheser-20
29. Dutch, 3.Nc3 http://www.amazon.com/dp/B004AYDL9E?tag=revcheser-20
30. Dutch, Classical http://www.amazon.com/dp/B004AYDLB2?tag=revcheser-20
31. Dutch, Leningrad http://www.amazon.com/dp/B004AYDLDK?tag=revcheser-20
32. Dutch, Other http://www.amazon.com/dp/B004AYDLCQ?tag=revcheser-20
33. English, 1...b6 http://www.amazon.com/dp/B004BDP5ES?tag=revcheser-20
34. English, 1...c6 http://www.amazon.com/dp/B004C059V4?tag=revcheser-20
35. English, 1...e6, Main Line http://www.amazon.com/dp/B004BDP5KW?tag=revcheser-20
36. English, 1...f5 http://www.amazon.com/dp/B004BDP5IO?tag=revcheser-20
37. English, 1...g6 http://www.amazon.com/dp/B004BDP5N4?tag=revcheser-20
38. English, 1...Nf6, 2.g3 http://www.amazon.com/dp/B004BLJ7QM?tag=revcheser-20
39. English, 1...Nf6, 2.Nc3, Anglo-Indian http://www.amazon.com/dp/B004BSH2PS?tag=revcheser-20
40. English, 1...Nf6, 2.Nf3, Anglo-Indian http://www.amazon.com/dp/B004C059TG?tag=revcheser-20
41. English, Flohr-Mikenas http://www.amazon.com/dp/B004BSH3WK?tag=revcheser-20
42. English, Sicilian Reversed, 2.g3 http://www.amazon.com/dp/B004BSH2RG?tag=revcheser-20
43. English, Sicilian Reversed, Bremen http://www.amazon.com/dp/B004BSH2R6?tag=revcheser-20
44. English, Sicilian Reversed, Closed http://www.amazon.com/dp/B004BSH2WQ?tag=revcheser-20
45. English, Sicilian Reversed, Four Knights http://www.amazon.com/dp/B004BSH2QW?tag=revcheser-20
46. English, Sicilian Reversed, Other Black 2nd Moves http://www.amazon.com/dp/B004BSH2T4?tag=revcheser-20
47. English, Symmetrical, 1...e6, 2.Nc3 d5 http://www.amazon.com/dp/B004BSH2TY?tag=revcheser-20
48. English, Symmetrical, 1...e6, 2.Nf3 d5 http://www.amazon.com/dp/B004BSH2U8?tag=revcheser-20
49. English, Symmetrical, 3.d4 http://www.amazon.com/dp/B004BSH31G?tag=revcheser-20
50. English, Symmetrical, Double Fianchetto http://www.amazon.com/dp/B004BSH406?tag=revcheser-20
51. English, Symmetrical, Four Knights http://www.amazon.com/dp/B004BSH3RU?tag=revcheser-20
52. English, Symmetrical, Hedgehog http://www.amazon.com/dp/B004BSH35W?tag=revcheser-20
53. English, Symmetrical, Main Line http://www.amazon.com/dp/B004BSH36G?tag=revcheser-20
54. English, Symmetrical, Other Black 3rd Moves http://www.amazon.com/dp/B004BSH3RA?tag=revcheser-20
55. Four Knights http://www.amazon.com/dp/B004C05AWM?tag=revcheser-20
56. French, Advance http://www.amazon.com/dp/B004C43I4K?tag=revcheser-20
57. French, Burn http://www.amazon.com/dp/B004C43I0E?tag=revcheser-20
58. French, Classical http://www.amazon.com/dp/B004C43HXM?tag=revcheser-20
59. French, Exchange http://www.amazon.com/dp/B004C43HY6?tag=revcheser-20
60. French, King's Indian Attack http://www.amazon.com/dp/B004C43I1S?tag=revcheser-20
61. French, MacCutcheon http://www.amazon.com/dp/B004C43I72?tag=revcheser-20
62. French, Other 2nd Moves http://www.amazon.com/dp/B004C43IOK?tag=revcheser-20
63. French, Rubinstein http://www.amazon.com/dp/B004C43I86?tag=revcheser-20
64. French, Steinitz http://www.amazon.com/dp/B004C43I54?tag=revcheser-20
65. French, Tarrasch, 3...c5 http://www.amazon.com/dp/B004C44QQY?tag=revcheser-20
66. French, Tarrasch, 3...Nf6 http://www.amazon.com/dp/B004C44QSC?tag=revcheser-20
67. French, Tarrasch, Other 3rd Moves http://www.amazon.com/dp/B004C44QQ4?tag=revcheser-20
68. French, Winawer, Main Line http://www.amazon.com/dp/B004C44QSM?tag=revcheser-20
69. French, Winawer, Other Black 4th Moves http://www.amazon.com/dp/B004C44QTQ?tag=revcheser-20
70. French, Winawer, Other White 4th Moves http://www.amazon.com/dp/B004C44QPU?tag=revcheser-20
71. Giuoco Piano (Italian Game) http://www.amazon.com/dp/B004C43I90?tag=revcheser-20
72. Göring Gambit http://www.amazon.com/dp/B004C44N08?tag=revcheser-20
73. Grünfeld, 4.Nf3 http://www.amazon.com/dp/B004DNWH8S?tag=revcheser-20
74. Grünfeld, Exchange http://www.amazon.com/dp/B004DNWHEC?tag=revcheser-20
75. Grünfeld, Fianchetto http://www.amazon.com/dp/B004ISLOKK?tag=revcheser-20
76. Grünfeld, Other http://www.amazon.com/dp/B004ISLOBY?tag=revcheser-20
77. Hogdson Attack http://www.amazon.com/dp/B004E3XBPU?tag=revcheser-20
78. Hungarian Defense http://www.amazon.com/dp/B004C44QY6?tag=revcheser-20
79. King's Gambit http://www.amazon.com/dp/B004C43IJA?tag=revcheser-20
80. King's Indian, 4 Pawns Attack http://www.amazon.com/dp/B004ISLOGO?tag=revcheser-20
81. King's Indian, Averbakh http://www.amazon.com/dp/B004ISLOKU?tag=revcheser-20
82. King's Indian, Classical, Main Line http://www.amazon.com/dp/B004ISLOIM?tag=revcheser-20
83. King's Indian, Classical, Other 5th and 6th Moves http://www.amazon.com/dp/B004ISLOFA?tag=revcheser-20
84. King's Indian, Classical, Other 7th Moves http://www.amazon.com/dp/B004ISLOF0?tag=revcheser-20
85. King's Indian, Classical, Petrosian http://www.amazon.com/dp/B004ISLOD2?tag=revcheser-20
86. King's Indian, Fianchetto http://www.amazon.com/dp/B004ISLOHI?tag=revcheser-20
87. King's Indian, Saemisch http://www.amazon.com/dp/B004ISLOHS?tag=revcheser-20
88. Latvian Gambit and Elephant Gambit http://www.amazon.com/dp/B004ISLOEG?tag=revcheser-20
89. London System, 2...e6 http://www.amazon.com/dp/B004ISLOGE?tag=revcheser-20
90. London System, 2...g6 http://www.amazon.com/dp/B004ISLOI2?tag=revcheser-20
91. Modern Benoni, 6.e4 http://www.amazon.com/dp/B004ISLVEO?tag=revcheser-20
92. Modern Benoni, 6.Nf3 http://www.amazon.com/dp/B004ISLOKA?tag=revcheser-20
93. Modern Defense http://www.amazon.com/dp/B004ISLOE6?tag=revcheser-20
94. Modern, 3.Nc3 c6 http://www.amazon.com/dp/B004ISLVDA?tag=revcheser-20
95. Modern, 3.Nc3 d6 http://www.amazon.com/dp/B004ISLVE4?tag=revcheser-20
96. Modern, 3.Nc3 Other http://www.amazon.com/dp/B004ISLU2M?tag=revcheser-20
97. Modern, 3.Nf3 http://www.amazon.com/dp/B004ISLOOG?tag=revcheser-20
98. Modern, Other 3rd Moves http://www.amazon.com/dp/B004IWRCKM?tag=revcheser-20
99. Nimzo-Indian, 4.f3 http://www.amazon.com/dp/B004ISLU4A?tag=revcheser-20
100. Nimzo-Indian, 4.Nf3 http://www.amazon.com/dp/B004ISLU3G?tag=revcheser-20
101. Nimzo-Indian, Classical, 4...c5 http://www.amazon.com/dp/B004ISLOR8?tag=revcheser-20
102. Nimzo-Indian, Classical, 4...O-O http://www.amazon.com/dp/B004ISLOQOv
103. Nimzo-Indian, Classical, Other http://www.amazon.com/dp/B004ISLOT6?tag=revcheser-20
104. Nimzo-Indian, Leningrad http://www.amazon.com/dp/B004ISLOU0?tag=revcheser-20
105. Nimzo-Indian, Other 4th Moves http://www.amazon.com/dp/B004ISLP72?tag=revcheser-20
106. Nimzo-Indian, Rubinstein, 4...c5 http://www.amazon.com/dp/B004ISLU22?tag=revcheser-20
107. Nimzo-Indian, Rubinstein, 4...O-O http://www.amazon.com/dp/B004ISLU5E?tag=revcheser-20
108. Nimzo-Indian, Rubinstein, Other http://www.amazon.com/dp/B004ISLU2W?tag=revcheser-20
109. Nimzo-Indian, Saemisch http://www.amazon.com/dp/B004ISLU3Q?tag=revcheser-20
110. Nimzowitsch-Larsen Attack http://www.amazon.com/dp/B004ISLU4K?tag=revcheser-20
111. Old Indian http://www.amazon.com/dp/B004ISLU5O?tag=revcheser-20
112. Owen Defense http://www.amazon.com/dp/B004ISLU4U?tag=revcheser-20
113. Petroff, Main Line http://www.amazon.com/dp/B004ISLVB2?tag=revcheser-20
114. Petroff, Other 3rd Moves http://www.amazon.com/dp/B004ISLULS?tag=revcheser-20
115. Philidor Defense http://www.amazon.com/dp/B004ISLUVS?tag=revcheser-20
116. Pirc, Austrian Attack http://www.amazon.com/dp/B004ISLV4O?tag=revcheser-20
117. Pirc, Classical http://www.amazon.com/dp/B004ISLVC6?tag=revcheser-20
118. Pirc, Other Black 3rd Moves http://www.amazon.com/dp/B004ISLVCG?tag=revcheser-20
119. Pirc, Other White 3rd Moves http://www.amazon.com/dp/B004ISLUZ4?tag=revcheser-20
120. Pirc, Other White 4th Moves http://www.amazon.com/dp/B004ISLVD0?tag=revcheser-20
121. Polish Opening http://www.amazon.com/dp/B004ISLU2C?tag=revcheser-20
122. Ponziani Opening http://www.amazon.com/dp/B004ISLVCQ?tag=revcheser-20
123. Queen's Gambit Accepted, 3.e4 http://www.amazon.com/dp/B004IWQYGA?tag=revcheser-20
124. Queen's Gambit Accepted, Main Line http://www.amazon.com/dp/B004IZL6RE?tag=revcheser-20
125. Queen's Gambit Accepted, Other 3rd Moves http://www.amazon.com/dp/B004IZL6P6?tag=revcheser-20
126. Queen's Gambit Accepted, Other 4th Moves http://www.amazon.com/dp/B004IZL6RY?tag=revcheser-20
127. Queen's Gambit Declined, 5.Bf4 http://www.amazon.com/dp/B004IZL6SS?tag=revcheser-20
128. Queen's Gambit Declined, Exchange http://www.amazon.com/dp/B004IZL6U6?tag=revcheser-20
129. Queen's Gambit Declined, Orthodox, Main Line http://www.amazon.com/dp/B004IZL6PQ?tag=revcheser-20
130. Queen's Gambit Declined, Orthodox, Other 4th Moves http://www.amazon.com/dp/B004IZL6SI?tag=revcheser-20
Why Join | Chess Topics |
Help & Support |
© 2016 Chess.com
• Chess - English
We are working hard to make Chess.com available in over 70 languages. Check back over the year as we develop the technology to add more, and we will try our best to notify you when your language is ready for translating!