• Tripelkonzert
  • on 9/20/11, 5:13 AM.

Is there a word in english describing the value difference between rook and bishop or Knight? In German it's called "Qualität" (quality) or colloquial "Qualle" (jellyfish)..

968 reads 9 comments
0 votes


  • 3 years ago


    Problem with language, lost quality with exchange... :-)

  • 4 years ago



    The exchange in chess refers to a situation in which one player loses a minor piece (i.e. a bishop or knight) but captures the opponent's rook. The side which wins the rook is said to have won the exchange, while the other player has lost the exchange, since the rook is usually more valuable. Alternatively, the side that has won the rook is up the exchange, and the other player is down the exchange. The opposing captures often happen on consecutive moves, although this is not strictly necessary. It is generally detrimental to lose the exchange, although occasionally one may find reason to purposely do so; the result is an exchange sacrifice (see below). The minor exchange is an uncommon term for the exchange of a bishop and knight.

    Value of the exchange

    The value of the exchange (i.e. the difference between a rook and a minor piece) has been considered for decades. Siegbert Tarrasch put its value as 1½ pawns in the endgame, but not for the opening or the first part of the middlegame. That is widely accepted today, but Jacob Sarratt, Howard Staunton, and José Capablanca felt that the exchange was worth two pawns. Tigran Petrosian thought that one pawn was the right value. Wilhelm Steinitz said that a rook is slightly better than a knight and two pawns but slightly worse than a bishop and two pawns. Max Euwe put the value at 1½ in the middlegame and said that two pawns are more than sufficient compensation for the exchange.

    Minor exchange

    The minor exchange refers to the capture of the opponent's bishop for the player's knight. Traditional chess theory espoused by masters such as Wilhelm Steinitz and Siegbert Tarrasch puts more value on the bishop than the knight. The hypermodern school favored the knight over the bishop. Modern theory is that it depends on the position, but that there are more positions where the bishop is better than where the knight is better.

    A rook and bishop usually work better together than a rook and knight in the endgame. José Raúl Capablanca stated that a queen and knight work better together than a queen and bishop in the endgame.

    Source: Wikipedia,

  • 5 years ago


    In the same style: Rémunération in french... No problem! Ciao.

    and for not strong player: "Lot' like fish

  • 5 years ago


    Thank you again Stephen, I will sleep less stupid tonight, and I finally understood your question. Thank you for the clarification "Prince of Knowledge". You'd be surprised, but if yesterday the British and the Americans now, are executive officers of research on chess, today we have very good players in France, such as Maxime-Vachier Lagrave, and some other players to exceptional ...

  • 5 years ago


    Philippe, I wish you were right. I don't think they use "quality" to describe that you are up rook against bishop. Which is a shame. But also I feel our American and English chess enthusiast friends have even discovered this thread yet....
  • 5 years ago


    Good evening. I do not understand your problem. You should know better than me. In French the difference between minor and major peace, is called "Qualité". And I think in English Language or English speaking, players call the differences between major and minor piece parts "Quality"? But the rules of the FFE are the same as the FIDE rules? No?

  • 5 years ago


    In spanish is known as " calidad ' = " quality ".For example : "ganando calidad'.                 

  • 5 years ago


    So can I say: "I won an exchange in the 17th move" and everybody knows what it meant?
  • 5 years ago


    I think they call it an "Exchange"....

    but in catalan and spanish we also call it quality ("Qualitat"/"Calidad").

Back to Top

Post your reply: