Toronto Dragons Field International Lineup
The PRO Chess League has two strong teams from Canada, as the Toronto Dragons join the Montreal Chessbrahs in the inaugural season of the league.
Toronto has a very balanced team with many young grandmasters on their roster. Let's take a look at some of their biggest stars:
1: GM Gergely-Andras-Gyula Szabo: Szabo is one of Toronto's "free agents," as he is actually living in Europe. This grandmaster shares a surname with several players in the chess database (starting in the 19th century with Gergely Szabo), the most famous being Laszlo Szabo.
Our 21st-century Szabo is a grandmaster known for taking his opponent's out of the opening book early in the game.
2: GM Bator Sambuev: Russian-born Sambuev came to Canada with his family ten years ago and has spent almost five years living in Toronto. He is a two-time Canadian National Champion.
His username, likemachine, is a testament to his style of play. Here's an example of his crystal-clear, machine-like play against another team member (see below):
3. GM Razvan Preotu: Pretou is the newest grandmaster in Canada and also the number-one player in the nation under 18 years old. The Dragons hope that this young and rapidly improving talent will help Toronto take one of the top spots in the Blue Division.
4. GM Thomas Roussel-Roozmon: Thomas is the other "free agent" on the roster and is coming off a win at the 2016 Montreal Open. He is known for having a "solid, classical, no-nonsense style."
Also competing for the Dragons are young and talented IMs Raja Panjwani, Michael Song, and the highly rated IM, Nikolay Noritsyn. WIth a host of other 2200-2300 rated players to round out their roster, Toronto will be a team to watch.
It's going to be interesting to see how this "international" squad will be performing in the East Coast U.S. division.
The PRO Chess League welcomes the Toronto Dragons!
Read up on everything you need to know about the PRO Chess League:
- League Announcement
- Prize Fund for 2017 Season
- 2017 Schedule
- How to join the PRO Chess League
- Are you a chess player looking to join a team? Apply to be picked up as a free agent here!