Catalan Opening: Closed, 4...dxc4 5.Nf3
The 'open' reaction to the Catalan seeks to utilize one of the disadvantages ...More
The 'open' reaction to the Catalan seeks to utilize one of the disadvantages of the Catalan - that the c4-pawn is undefended. Black captures that pawn, requiring White to either expend time regaining it or remain down a pawn.
- Black temporarily wins a pawn
- White might have to lose time
- The g2-bishop becomes stronger
- White gains an advantage of pawns in the center
- Sacrificing a pawn might bring strong queenside pressure