10 best openings in chess

Didn't find what you are looking for? Click here to search with Google

All Articles

Articles

• The Opening That Didn't Like Bobby Fischer

IM Silman Feb 16, 2017, 3:58 AM

Chess players are always looking for new openings. But picking an opening isn’t easy since there are so many to choose. Sometimes the choice is made by using the openings of your favorite chess hero. And...

• Chess Cyborg: Chess Teachers And Chess Books

IM Silman Feb 9, 2017, 2:55 AM

This article is a bit different in that I’ve written about chess books and I’ve written about chess coaches, but I’ve never blended the two together. In doing so, I will show you how your chess...

• The 3 'Illnesses' Of Chess

IM Silman Feb 2, 2017, 12:52 AM

The Chess.com member Canyounotquit wrote: “I really want to know why and how I lost this particular game. I had a piece lead and still I lost badly. I’ve no idea where I went wrong.” JS:...

• The Man Who Was Ahead Of His Time

GM Gserper Jan 29, 2017, 11:59 AM

Ask chess players about the period known as romantic chess and they will probably mention the names of La Bourdonnais, Anderssen and Morphy. Indeed, all three of them were called unofficial world...

• Chess And Presidential Elections

GM Gserper Jan 21, 2017, 11:41 PM

During the 2016 presidential election, many Americans got caught between a rock and a hard place. Indeed, since both candidates had flaws, it was very difficult to make a choice. I wish we had an...

All Blogs

Blogs

• January Open Tournament Game Review

TheChessPlayingCoder Feb 19, 2017, 10:08 PM

Open Tournament Round 1 - Time Control 65/65 Admittedly I was a bit nervous playing in the first round as I had not played in a while.  And right out of the opening I got a small surprise.  After Black's second...

• (Blog 1) How to *UNDERSTAND* Everything in a Chess Game - General Summary

Cherub_Enjel Feb 16, 2017, 12:27 AM

*I am periodically editing this post! A lot of people have said it's pretty decent, so I will try to make it more thorough*   So, I decided to create a blog, and there's nothing better to write about in the first...

• Endgame Principles, and Learning Chess

therealslim_kt Feb 14, 2017, 4:32 AM

Recently, my best friend asked me to teach him chess. I’m no expert, but I decided to try it anyway. So I had to decide; what do I teach him first? In my brief stint with coaching as a child, I was taught the same...

• Andreikin on his Wijk aan Zee debut by Colin McGourty

sontu1296 Feb 5, 2017, 8:40 PM

Dmitry Andreikin, born in the same year as Magnus Carlsen, turned 27 today. The talented Russian grandmaster’s career has followed an oddly low-profile trajectory, illustrated by his appearance in the Tata Steel...

• Staunton!

kamalakanta Feb 4, 2017, 1:23 PM

This is a small attempt to pay tribute to the games of Howard Staunton. I have been inspired by two articles by GM Serper: The Man Who Was Ahead Of His Time Staunton Could See The Future Note: I am also inspired...

All News

News

• 3 Winners, 1 Blunder In Sharjah Grand Prix

PeterDoggers Feb 22, 2017, 12:00 AM

The Sharjah Grand Prix today saw a blunder in the "very rare" category. Alexander Riazantsev's mistake was huge, and he could resign immediately against Dmitry Jakovenko. In the fifth round, Michael Adams...

• Ni Shiqun Knocks Out Gunina, Pogonina In Tehran

IM JovankaHouska Feb 19, 2017, 12:00 AM

WGM Ni Shiqun of China is the sensation of the women's world championship so far. In the last two rounds the 19-year-old Chinese player eliminated both GMs Valentina Gunina and WGM Natalija Pogonina. The...

• ELEGANCE IN THE JURASSIC PERIOD

FideCastro Feb 2, 2017, 2:15 PM

M Podlesak      (134)    ½         D Pugh             (136)    ½           D Molineux      (125)    ½         R Peters           (133)    ½         P Staley            (124)    ½         S Grayland                  ...

• London System

RussBell Dec 25, 2016, 5:28 PM

The London System.... In the London System White immediately develops his Queen Bishop, typically by the second or third move as 1.d4/2.Bf4 (recommended) or 1.d4/2.Nf3/3.Bf4.  Thus the bishop is more actively placed...

• shit members say

fbobobby Dec 13, 2016, 4:34 PM

got this as a return from a recruit pm...left me fucking mystified, and i wanted to share...His story.... I have currently played about 30 games. I used to play OTB at about 2100 and 15 years ago CC at 2200, but...

=

Online Now