Upgrade to Chess.com Premium!

11/12/2011 - Mate in 5

• 3 years ago · Quote · #161

BryanCFB

MyChipTest wrote:

@Mcabion and vengene69... I think the point of these puzzles isn't to find the easy way, such as continual check into a mate, rather to help folks understand thier chessboard better. Better and Best chess is played by people who understand not only things like checks and captures, but how pieces control squares. The king move signifies more than just an effecient way to play. It signifies that the king holds just as much presences because he controls 9 squares, the closest one to him in each direction. If you control that with your king, than your opponent can't move his king there. Though this may be a "so what" kind of point, keep in mind there are many people who play on chess.com who don't understand how to play pawn endgames. This idea, that a king can take away the mobility of an opponents king, plays a huge factor in the sucess, or more often, failure, of one player to correctly respond to his opponents end game tactics. Therefore, it is a very good variation to put the king move in.

(for the record, the king move still technically can lead to a 6 move checkmate. The correct, well, most correct for black, 4th move, is 4. ... gxf2. This leads to 5. Bd5    e4 (black moves his pawn to block) 6. Bxe4# . Also, I appologize if any of this has been posted already, as I haven't gotten the chance to look at all the comments.)

If 4...gxf2 then 5. Nh4#.

• 3 years ago · Quote · #162

BryanCFB

masteriain wrote:
    ka7th wrote:

i saw an alternate line which leads to mate in 6

In this alternate line , .... does not 5. Re3 also lead to mate in 5 ?

If 5. Re3+ Kd1.

• 3 years ago · Quote · #163

BryanCFB

SkeezeyJ wrote:

Couldn't you get mate in 4 with Bd5 instead of king e1?

If 4. Bd5+ then 4...Ke2 or 4...e4.

• 3 years ago · Quote · #164

kaijain

very easy

• 3 years ago · Quote · #165

vanhafford

On move 4.I played Rxg3+ Ke2. 5.Bh5+ Qf3. and 6.Bxh3#  White's 4.Kf1 was the move of a Master.  The puzzle was a true lesson for a student studying chess.

• 3 years ago · Quote · #166

ReyRambler1960

Sealed

• 3 years ago · Quote · #167

Shahedul

Gil-Gandel wrote:
    Shahedul wrote:

Isn't the first move a flaw?! How can the pawn take the other one, it is parralell to it!

En passant - Google "Laws of Chess". Briefly, when a pawn advances two squares (and only then), an enemy pawn that could have taken it on the square it passed over (and no other unit) is allowed to do so in response (and only then).

Thank you. :)

• 3 years ago · Quote · #168

bibo99

Good puzzle!!

• 3 years ago · Quote · #169

carlosmadura

meio complicado

• 3 years ago · Quote · #170

Ocky

Nice & easy

• 3 years ago · Quote · #171

Nawaniahu

how is fxg3 possible?

• 3 years ago · Quote · #172

BryanCFB

Nawaniahu wrote:

how is fxg3 possible?

the en-passant rule 

• 3 years ago · Quote · #173

stephen_33

Cry Thought I'd cracked this in a few minutes - when will I learn ? Got the first two moves then I played 3.Rg4  Kf3   4.Bh5 ...!  it seemed good at the time. Like many people I just couldn't see 4.Kf1 - do we have 'King blindness' when it comes to using that piece as part of the attack ?

The en passant in the first move was a novelty - has that been done in a puzzle before ?  It all made this a brilliant puzzle & I feel I've learnt something from this one so the frustration was worth it.

Surprising how many don't seem to know about the En Passant rule. Click on Learn/Basic Rules... to find out - it's a really good resource.

Regards..

• 3 years ago · Quote · #174

shengyi

That's much better than the easy puzzles.

Post your reply: