Upgrade to Chess.com Premium!

1/9/2014 - Nimzowitsch-Tartakower, Karlovy Vary, 1911

• 8 months ago · Quote · #161

BryanCFB

Vasu1613 wrote:

Black missed 1...Qa1+ 2. Rxa1 Rxa1+ 3. Qb1 Raxb1# or 3... Rbxb1#.

White missed 2. Qxf7+ Kh8 3. Qxg7#.

Black missed 2...Qd1#.

Remember, both sides have a weak back rank.  Otherwise 1. Qxb7 would be a really nice move.

• 8 months ago · Quote · #162

SaiKrishna_K

easy

• 8 months ago · Quote · #163

s0s0

After the puzzle has been solved, it would be nice to have the chance to explore other variations of that same position against the computer. I'm no computer guy but it seems to me that it would be a simple setup that would encourage players to learn on their own.

• 8 months ago · Quote · #164

stoker68

nice puzzle

• 8 months ago · Quote · #165

gourob

great moves...nice puzzle....

• 8 months ago · Quote · #166

vonkenboertje

Bonan puzlo

• 8 months ago · Quote · #167

citizenoftheworld91

Bryan681972 wrote:
    Vasu1613 wrote:

Black missed 1...Qa1+ 2. Rxa1 Rxa1+ 3. Qb1 Raxb1# or 3... Rbxb1#.

White missed 2. Qxf7+ Kh8 3. Qxg7#.

Black missed 2...Qd1#.

Remember, both sides have a weak back rank.  Otherwise 1. Qxb7 would be a really nice move.

Since Bryan681972 already pointed out the mechanics of the failings of this puzzle, I will allow myself to be a little more judgmental and (in the words of The Simpsons' Comic Book Guy) say: worst puzzle ever!!

Edit: This is regarding the puzzle Vasu1613 posted and not the original chess.com puzzle.

• 8 months ago · Quote · #168

BenTal

Bryan681972 wrote:
    BenTal wrote:
    citizenoftheworld91 wrote:

Interesting puzzle. Not a forced mate, but if I'm not mistaken, the only way out for Black is by sacrificing his Queen, and what a cowardly thing to do that would be!!

Mate is forced, but can be extended for another move. Sacrificing the Queen doesn't help, eg 1. Qf6 Qe6 2. Qd8+ Qe8 3. QxQe8#.
    Mate can be extended to 5 moves by not taking the Bishop.
    1. Qf6 Rg8 2. Bxf7 d5 3. BxRg8+ KxBg8 4. Re8+ QxRe8 5. QxBg7#

On 1. Qf6 Rg8 2. Bxf7 d5, quicker is 3. Bxg6+ (3. Be8+ or 3. Bxd5+ also work) Qf7 4. Qxf7#.

Quite right, overlooked that in my haste!

• 8 months ago · Quote · #169

Davidcezar94

easy one, but i still don't understand why the picked up piece isn't where the cursor, but with 2 squares under it

• 8 months ago · Quote · #170

SaadSalem

Qf6!! fantastic

• 8 months ago · Quote · #171

tingtong99

Nice Puzzle!!

Cool. Use left and right arrows to navigate.Cool. Use left and right arrows to navigate.Cool. Use left and right arrows to navigate.Cool. Use left and right arrows to navigate.Cool. Use left and right arrows to navigate.

Smile. Use left and right arrows to navigate.Smile. Use left and right arrows to navigate.Smile. Use left and right arrows to navigate.Smile. Use left and right arrows to navigate.Smile. Use left and right arrows to navigate.

Wink. Use left and right arrows to navigate.Wink. Use left and right arrows to navigate.Wink. Use left and right arrows to navigate.Wink. Use left and right arrows to navigate.Wink. Use left and right arrows to navigate.

Laughing. Use left and right arrows to navigate.Laughing. Use left and right arrows to navigate.Laughing. Use left and right arrows to navigate.Laughing. Use left and right arrows to navigate.Laughing. Use left and right arrows to navigate.

• 8 months ago · Quote · #172

Ocky

Excellent!

• 6 months ago · Quote · #173

Juncedan

shocking

Post your reply: