Upgrade to Chess.com Premium!

9/2/2011 - Mate in 9

• 3 years ago · Quote · #1

dailypuzzle

• 3 years ago · Quote · #2

Cossack_Man

First!  If you're in the US, Ron Paul 2012!  If not, STOP rioting!

On a side note, checkmate kind sir, and great puzzle!

• 3 years ago · Quote · #3

zman1234

Mate in 9 cool! Mate with just a king and pawn XD

• 3 years ago · Quote · #4

TripleXDooM

wow

hope you can do this one incredibill

• 3 years ago · Quote · #5

NFPlayer

This puzzle is one of the greatest puzzles in a long time. EXCELLENT demonstration of sacrifices and oponent manipulation. Mate with a pawn in the end, after it looks as if you have 0 chance.

5/5, great puzzle.

• 3 years ago · Quote · #6

PlayChessLikeHockey

6th

• 3 years ago · Quote · #7

jean22

done

• 3 years ago · Quote · #8

ETGoomba

eighth. ok puzzle

• 3 years ago · Quote · #9

IncrediBill

I waited till 3:01 to give everyone else a chance to be first for a change. Some people were politely mentioning that having an analysis immediately after the puzzle was distracting.  I trust this should accomodate them.

Wow.  I wonder if this was in a real game, would anyone be able to look that far ahead, and even then, have the courage to sacrifice everything right down to your last pawn???

I tried several different lines, but with a Mate in 9 there are so many different directions that the game could go in.  I think that the main thing is that White has the position and material advantage to win the game, without having to risk sacrificing everything . . .it would just take a lot longer than nine moves.

Check out Post #26 on Page 2 by @elindaur.  He does an excellent job of demonstrating why Black made the decisions he did.

Here is one line that I followed which started of with the Bishop giving check:

Again, there are other routes that White could have started with and/or followed that would have ended with a win.  Which makes all of these sacrifices pretty impresive.

Whoever designed the puzzle made a real work of art.  And if this was a real game . . . unbelievable!!!

• 3 years ago · Quote · #10

aieplm

good

• 3 years ago · Quote · #11

epicfacepalm

Nice puzzle

• 3 years ago · Quote · #12

kiki-22

great

• 3 years ago · Quote · #13

Catalysts

...And who would have thought of this?

Great puzzle.

• 3 years ago · Quote · #14

zman1234

Hey i got a funny story. Who wants to hear it?

• 3 years ago · Quote · #15

PlayChessLikeHockey

IncrediBill wrote:

I waited till 3:01 to give everyone else a chance to be first for a change. Some people were politely mentioning that having an analysis immediately after the puzzle was distracting.  I trust this should accomoate them.

nobody likes the whiners. i think the racing for first is hilareous

• 3 years ago · Quote · #16

TripleXDooM

zman1234 wrote:

Hey i got a funny story. Who wants to hear it?

me!

• 3 years ago · Quote · #17

diogens

Very nice and many tags: exposed king, multiple sacrificies, pin, deviation...

• 3 years ago · Quote · #18

Sjarrel

wow, really difficult.. Nice

• 3 years ago · Quote · #19

NuclearPizza

Anyone got it without mistakes? Most probably not.

• 3 years ago · Quote · #20

zman1234

There's a bridge with a water source about 1,000 feet down, and there's a sign on the bridge that says:"NO FISHING OFF THE BRIDGE" XD (NO LIE!!!!)

Post your reply: