nasser_amin
f

nfyz650

Anatoly1934
USAuPzlBxBob wrote:
Arisktotle wrote:
Anatoly1934 wrote:
Arisktotle wrote:

. Turns out that the "distant" opposition works fine. In fact, it's the only plan that works.

How can you know it? About the one and  only plan?

How can you calculate so long sequence of moves for Blacks and Whites... I wonder.

In case you didn't notice, I broke the solution into 2 parts. It's the only plan that works to move the white king parallel to the black king 4 squares to the right. Unless you separate that preparation from the remaining winning manoeuvre, the sequence is indeed hard to calculate. 

In the end, in the 21st century, we verify our ideas with the help of our friengine. Not before we solved the problem, but before we write the comments. If we are wise that is.

Arisktotle, agree with you 100%.

I found that after learning the 'opposition' technique after woefully failing on the puzzle, upon returning to the puzzle, after our Comment posts, fellow members, chimed in and made me give it a re-look, I found that even after applying the 'opposition' shorthand, there still might be an alternative solution to the puzzle.

This is because there is an "ocean expanse" before the pieces confront the "opposite shore"
 on the right-side of the board, where different tactics are necessary.

This puzzle, and 'opposition' in general, needs to be explored more thoroughly.

Bob          

Bob, be back.

I decided that I should crack up this puzzle though... This one intrigued me.

I can't believe that in the "ocean expanse" there is only one and only way for moving... as you said.

This would be very strange.

Rishestman

Me solved this puzzel game

nicolas647

@shreyanshdujari (post 42)

You hanged your queen so don't be too much proud of you.

Arisktotle
Anatoly1934 wrote:

I can't believe that in the "ocean expanse" there is only one and only way for moving... as you said.

This would be very strange.

Right! Pawn endings are very strange and Grigoriev (who made this study) is its master forever. The way to fight ocean expanses is to reduce them with "workable strategies" like "opposition". It is sort of a special case in the comprehensive theory of "corresponding squares". Have no links for you but I am sure there is something on wikipedia and in sources of endgame study.

Note that applying corresponding squares to game play is not trivial as it may require you to assign varying numbers to a large number of squares. A real test for your visualization skills.

trunghoa2477

Yo

Parlee

OMG