10/9/2012 - Devastating Decoy

vanhafford

Removing The Guard!  Thanks for the lesson!

waynedickinson2

@#$#@@##@!!!

Rock2907

Very simple!

Darshan_Haragi_L

easy

shiva94

got it on 1st Laughing

warfaze2012

So easy

Ghost79
johnyblaze28 wrote:

I hate how the title of the puzzle gives it away 

You're right, i didn't notice the title til after i finished it, and it was still kinda easy, ehh, it's only tuesday still.

stephen_33
jacobi6 wrote:

Jacob, in your second diagram (#88) you show how it can be dangerous to  make unnecessary moves because you've overlooked  2...Qxf2#  !  Then what was meant to be a win for White becomes a win for Black.   Surprised

(But at the age of 8!, you are very good at posting diagrams     Smile)

onefineham

Got that one easy enough.

Jurgan

What if black play Kg7?  Is there a response for white?  I can't see it.

damongross

Obviously the title gave it away, but it was a good puzzle anyway.

deepak64

Very nice puzzle.

blacknight_chess

easy

akash1908

damm easy

deepak21071974

hmm:)

senormouse2001

nice and simple

FredBatchelor

Mighty fine.

stephen_33
briansladovich wrote:
rdkey76 wrote:

This is not a "decoy sacrifice". It is a diversion sacrifice.

You say tamato, I say tomato. You say diversion, I say decoy. We've had this debate before but, worthy of another round. Anyone ?

Gladly, this is neither a decoy nor a diversion, it's a deflection. Black's queen, in capturing the knight, is being coerced away from the 'good' square at h6 where it's guarding h8 & stopping mate.
Interestingly, there is a decoy here - if you go with the alternative 1...Kg7, then you might say the king is moving from a good to a bad square where it can be attacked. That's my understanding of what a decoy is. 

But then the puzzle setter didn't go with that variation so I don't see how the title applies !
(Yesterday's puzzle is a good example of a forced decoy.)

Edit: Having trouble finding the term 'diversion' anyway.  Deflection is listed in Chessopedia but there's no diversion (come to that, there's no decoy either - I wish they'd bring that thing up to date!). So is diversion just another term for deflection ?

panoras

o yea

thedemiurge

Yes, easy, but even a simple puzzle gets the gears whirring.  I always try the daily puzzle before beginning live chess.