11/28/2020 - Taming the Avalanche

KaKachessplayok

solve

Bglevano

I don’t understand 4...k a4? Why doesn’t black play 4...e2?

Oparin_Maxim

solved

grin.png

bansalmahit

Lol

Oparin_Maxim

oh, hi

bansalmahit

Hi...

Oparin_Maxim

it was my previous part with a guy who had about (200) trophies

SuperPatzer77
djdc100 wrote:
SuperPatzer77 wrote:
DougDo wrote:

Why does the puzzle stop before the rook slides all the over to put the King in check mate?  

It’s not too easy to find a checkmate but the White King’s able to go back to stopping the Black pawns while heading to d1 when this puzzle stops with 6. Kc3! so White wins. 

You should analyze it by yourself. I bet my boots Black will lose his two remaining pawns 

I think you hit on a key point here. What helped me was to recall the axiom that a single Rook will not be able on its own to stop two connected passed pawns once they reach the 6th rank. So you have to look the puzzle over from the standpoint of "Is there a way to get the King involved to help the Rook corral the pawns?" Once realizing this, then the point of how to work toward the solution became much more clear. Nice puzzle!

Yes, exactly right! White’s plan is the White King only stops the two Black pawns and White forces Black into zugzwang by threatening checkmate. Eventually these two Black pawns are stopped. 

SuperPatzer77
Bglevano wrote:

I don’t understand 4...k a4? Why doesn’t black play 4...e2?

Then 5. Rxd2 threatening 6. Ra2# and then the Black King has to move to a4 to avoid getting mated. And 6. Rxe2  - White wins 

jacobchen2014

jacobchen2014

Is it possible to be GM in 3 years?

alvin414
Can anyone solve this puzzle?

alvin414
If you solved the first two puzzles and want more of a challenge, here it is:

korotky_trinity

Very nice

Tenor188

Solved!

Thank you!