12/8/2012 - White to Play and Draw

Oh, now I see why, if the king does kill the bishop, white can't move anywhere, and therefore stalemate. But again, black is not aiming for stalemate. White is.

interesting!!

Very interesting............

I like it! Very good puzzle

once you know there is an solution, you find. nice

Odd one.

fdlrtom wrote:

OK, it seems to me that on move 5 black could have advanced the E pawn instead of moving the king. There was no stalemate as long as the bishop could still move. I don't see how white could have prevented a pawn promotion after that.

Post #98 explains that & many other variations very well !

WOW wrong again!!Yell

CactuSG wrote:(comment deleted) 

why are comments deleted?

why did the king not take bishop on b3.

Hmmm, this one's odd.

Eowusu21 wrote:

why did the king not take bishop on b3.

Stalemate

it was hard but done by some mistakes! :)

Wow can people stop asking why the king doesn't take bishop? It's a stalemate as been said a few times already Yell. Puzzles aren't meant to be strictly mate focused. This puzzle is great, in that it shows you the power of square control and the importance of move sequence in the end game. When I first started the puzzle (I didnt guess right had to solution it) I thought to myself there is no way white can prevent promotion with 2 connected passed pawns (advanced) and one pawn on the protected by the king on b2. Awesome puzzle.

I think i'm missing the point...White moved the bishop to b3 (next to the king) taking the bishop seems logical to me. Instead of that black moved a pawn (e4).......I know it's almost x-mas but...I don't get this 'present

Why doesnt the black king take the white bishop on move 4?

@ wossaaat        -- Ah!  Thank you.  Okay, now why 6 ...Kc4 instead of 6 ...c3?  Wouldn’t it be better for that black pawn to get closer to a promotion?

MefromCali wrote:

@ wossaaat        -- Ah!  Thank you.  Okay, now why 6 ...Kc4 instead of 6 ...c3?  Wouldn’t it be better for that black pawn to get closer to a promotion?

ZZ and the eventual taking of all of blacks pawn. Either way it leads to a draw which is what white wants.

first page yeah!

or Join

Online Now