5/19/2008 - Liberating the Queen

DailyFun
Drag the pieces to solve!
etarnal
second one yay!!! why can't the king kill the bishop???
krdt27
 this just came to me.  I enjoyed it :D
etarnal
3 min... 3 post.... lol
ishcairn

I'm apparently missing something here.  I got it immediately, but black is by no means forced down that road if what I'm seeing is correct.

*edit*  Oops!!!  missed the immediate queen/king fork if black played the other obvious line.  I'm such a beginner..lol 

epheterson
Got it quick, nice to move the queen out of there and a very nice trade to make!
Raito

If 2... Kxf6

3. Ne4+! 

lexusheart
15 seconds... that was too easy... but goooood ;))
RHCP08

at first i did not see why he didnt take the bishop wioth the queen when i noticed a for between the queen and kiong with the knight

RHCP08
i meant take the bishop with the bishop
luqmaan
Force sometimes does the job and allows the Queen to activate with honors. Good stuff.
PrinceisComputerBlue
why not take the bishop with the king?
Bowjac

PrinceisComputerBlue has a good point " why not take the bishop with the king?"

wouldn't that have changed how the game turned out? 

btnerb
No, because if you read the previous posts before saying so, you would have noticed that by taking with the king white can get a royal (king & queen) fork with his knight, thus winning black's queen and ending the threat to his own. The potential for a royal fork is what is "forcing" about this line.
Naedling
Bxf6 leaves the Bishop vulnerable to Kxf6 and retains the potential for an exchange of Queens. This is a 'solution' only if white is an inferior player.
angelsky
nice puzzle..
vijaykulkarni
So easy again  Wink
SamEast

What if black does 1. .. Kg8? He now can't be forced. If white plays the same line anyway, then he loses his queen to win a rook. Not a terrific result for white.

Edit: Ah. White then plays Qxc8 offcourse, liberating the queen and winning a bishop.

SamEast
SamEast wrote:

What if black does 1. .. Kg8? He now can't be forced. If white plays the same line anyway, then he loses his queen to win a rook. Not a terrific result for white.

Edit: Ah. White then plays Qxc8 offcourse, liberating the queen and winning a bishop.

But after all, it might be his best move to offer the bishop the way I describe above. He loses the least I think.

Manos

etarnal asked: second one yay!!! why can't the king kill the bishop???

Because of 3. Ne4+ and 4. Nxd6