6/21/2018 - M.Vukcevich, 1st Comm. Problem 1956

BryanCFB
SuperPatzer77 wrote:

@BryanCFB,

Excellent Analysis!!! 

Thank you.  Sorry it was so late.  At least someone was still interested in looking at it.Smile

jakesam

thanks for the move explanation

Awesome60

if 8. e8=Q, then Nc7+ then Option 1  9. Bxc7 Stalemate 1/2-1/2

Option 2  9. Kb8 Nxe8 Insufficent material to mate 1/2-1/2

fightingbob
BryanCFB wrote:

Thank you again, Bryan, for the thorough and extensive analysis.

Peculiarly, I'm only posting now because I promised myself that I would solve this endgame study first. I initially and almost immediately saw 1.Be2 the day the study was posted, but I couldn't find a follow up so I kept trying and failing with other first moves the next few days. I was always drawn back to the aesthetically pleasing Be2; it was frustrating.

For some reason, today it clicked and I saw the zwischenzug, 2.Ra5+ and for the exact reason you wrote "making black capture the rook further away from the pawn." The rest was simple by comparison. 5.Bd8+ is the obvious choice so White's new queen will not be lost to a fork after 4... Nf4. If instead 4...Bf6, it's also obvious Black was playing for a stalemate and an under-promotion to a rook would be necessary.

All I can say is, intermediate moves, even intermediate checks, are sometimes the hardest to anticipate, to find or defend against.

DamTiVidle
[COMMENT DELETED]
Rocky64
OldPatzerMike wrote:
Rocky64 wrote:
OldPatzerMike wrote:
Rocky64 wrote:

The composer Milan Vukcevich was one of the best ever and he will be featured in my next blog on great problemists who are also excellent players.

I look forward to that, Rocky. I knew Dr. Vukcevich personally. Besides his chess skills, he was a fine human being and a very successful scientist. Note also that today's problem was composed when he was only 19 years old.

In case you're interested, here's a post with more details about his life: https://www.chess.com/forum/view/chess-players/milan-vukcevich-a-forgotten-player

How cool you knew him! That's a great post you wrote about him and I'd actually read it before because I did a lot of research (googling ) on each problemist/player on my lists, and your post ranked pretty high on Google when I searched for Vukcevich!  

It's great to see someone interested in Vukcevich. It's a shame in a way that he practically gave up chess for his science career. Of course, being a GM of composition and a member of the Chess Hall of Fame and also being considered for a Nobel Prize would suggest that he was a somewhat successful individual.

My greatest regret in chess is that I didn't take the opportunity to ask him for advice on improving my own chess.

My blog featuring Vukcevich,  The greatest masters of both the game and problems – Part 2, is out. Check it out - it includes an amazing Mate-in-3 problem by him.

CitizenOfTheWorld91

Nice post!

chessfuzzy
CitizenOfTheWorld91 wrote:
chessfuzzy wrote:
Robbo1461 wrote:

Stupid !! Why would you choose Rook over Q here ?? Next move for W would either be Qc6#, or if Nb4, then Qa4# Even if Nc7+, Bxc7 ??? What a waste of time trying to solve this stupid puzzle !!!

Yeah, you're absolutely right. Well said, mate.. Well said!

Pfffffft!

If W move the K, the w pawn will be taken by the BN and also it will end a stalemate

Pox on you and your kind!

Why Pox on me? and what do you mean by my kind?!

what I have said or done to deserve your curse, are you a child?

CitizenOfTheWorld91
chessfuzzy wrote:
chessfuzzy wrote:
Robbo1461 wrote:

Stupid !! Why would you choose Rook over Q here ?? Next move for W would either be Qc6#, or if Nb4, then Qa4# Even if Nc7+, Bxc7 ??? What a waste of time trying to solve this stupid puzzle !!!

Pfffffft!

If W move the K, the w pawn will be taken by the BN and also it will end a stalemate

I'm a little bit of everything, All rolled into one

I'm a bitch, I'm a lover

I'm a child, I'm a father

I'm a sinner, I'm a saint

I do not feel ashamed

I've been numb, I'm revived

Can't say I'm not alive

You know you wouldn't want it any other way

So take me as I am...

chessfuzzy
chessfuzzy wrote:
chessfuzzy wrote:
Robbo1461 wrote:

Pfffffft!

I'm a little bit of everything, All rolled into one

I'm a bitch, I'm a lover

I'm a child, I'm a father

I'm a sinner, I'm a saint

I do not feel ashamed

I've been numb, I'm revived

Can't say I'm not alive

You know you wouldn't want it any other way

So take me as I am...

ok, I got you, you are MF

Jill_McBain

cry.png