7/11/2018 - Delayed Rewards

fightingbob

Sorry, Bryan, but I completely disagree with giving Rxg6 an exclamation point. You'd never find a good player playing this move; instead they'd go directly for the queen to end the game. In fact, if White and Black were any good at all and Black succumbed to the deflection, he would resign before either Rxg6 or Rxc7 landed on the board; the loss is inevitable.

Personally, if I were Black playing in a weekend tournaments where one is not sure how good your opponent really is, I'd only resign after Rxc7.  If my opponent played Rxg6, I'd continue just to make sure he knew how to operate the windmill counterclockwise as well as clockwise.  In this sense, Rxg6 is a waste of my time and his before the inevitable denouement.

BryanCFB
fightingbob wrote:

Sorry, Bryan, but I completely disagree with giving Rxg6 an exclamation point. You'd never find a good player playing this move; instead they'd go directly for the queen to end the game. In fact, if White and Black were any good at all and Black succumbed to the deflection, he would resign before either Rxg6 or Rxc7 landed on the board; the loss is inevitable.

Personally, if I were Black playing in a weekend tournaments where one is not sure how good your opponent really is, I'd only resign after Rxc7.  If my opponent played Rxg6, I'd continue just to make sure he knew how to operate the windmill counterclockwise as well as clockwise.  In this sense, Rxg6 is a waste of my time and his before the inevitable denouement.

Well I found it kind of odd that the Chess.com Daily Puzzle which tends to eschew superior defenses just to demonstrate thematic tactics (and perhaps rightly so) delayed the demonstration of the thematic tactic here in favor of a "meaningless" pawn capture.  And that's why I gave 4. Rxg6 an exclam.  Because technically the best "puzzle" move was played and that's quite unusual for the daily puzzle.

But does 4. Rxg6 deserve an exclam for practical purposes in reality?  Of course not.  After all I tried 4. Rxc7 first.  In the "puzzle world" however where material is king seemingly more than the king is king sometimes and resignation isn't an option until the defending side has lost as many resources as possible, I just wanted to give credit where credit is due.

fightingbob

Now I understand your reasoning, Bryan  However, if this occurred in the tactics trainer and I lost points because of it, I'd want to strangle the person who set it up this way.  You see, I too played Rxc7.

Like I said in another post, that's why I eschew Chess.com's trainer.  Once you've been introduced to the names and execution of common tactics separately and combined in the excellent Improve Your Chess Tactics I much prefer the Encyclopedia of Chess Combinations for training.

Jill_McBain

cry.png

StevenPatzer

Good point BryanCFB

Hadnerb

easy puzzle

Sarahalime

OK

FideiDefensor

Nope dot avi

JosephReidNZ

Done, easy as pieskis thumbup.png