7/21/2012 - White to Play and Win

but i agree with comment 127 from 47godspeed

Why wouldn't black king take the pawn instead of the rook, it would leave white with the rook but it's better than a queen (promoted pawn), wouldn't have been mate and with the number of pawns on the board, black might just have made something work...

Nice

yay got it

Why didnt black take the pawn instead of the rook. That way he's facing a rook and 3 pawns instead of a queen and 3 pawns. I know he'll probably still lse but it's better odds. 

good

that horse comic thing is funny

end game..

For all those wondering whether the Black King should have taken the Pawn instead of the Rook on the 4th move (4...Kxb7 instead of 4...Kxd8), you are correct.  

However, it is worse than that.  The Black Rook would have already eliminated the Pawn on the second move instead of moving up to the eighth rank ( 2...Rxb7 instead of 2...Rd8).  Take a look at the blue alternate line below:

If Black didn't already elimate the passed pawn on the second move, then Black definitely would have done it on the fourth move.  See the blue alternate line below:

I can only assume that chess.com allowed the Pawn to promote to a Queen in order to establish that White would clearly have the upper hand and would quickly win instead of playing out the Rook scenario.

This is a very disappointing puzzle because it breaks the cardinal rules of chess puzzles, that being, that Black always makes the best moves possible and that Black tries to survive as long as possible even though loss is inevitable.

nice

nirmal0070 wrote:

RACE FOR 1st PAGE?

TOO EASY PUZZLE.

I'm loving all these comics at the beginning as opposed to the "first" posts! Especially yours! Keep em coming guys!

Yet another dud! After 2.p-b7 black has K-b7 - he doesn't have to move his rook

nice puzzle!

Great.Please be relevant, helpful & nice!

nice

WHY NOT BLACK MOVES HIS KING IN C7 IN SECOND MOVE?

KAUTS wrote:

WHY NOT BLACK MOVES HIS KING IN C7 IN SECOND MOVE?

2...Kc7 3. b8Q+ Kxb8 4. Rxd7.  White wins.

or Join

Online Now