8/20/2017 - Attack Before Castling

chess_guy3000 wrote:

I did Nxd6+ first, but I see now

1. Nxd6+ Kf8 (forced) 2. Qh6+ Kg8 (forced) 3. Nxe7#

good morning vietnam

too easy

ListeningGopher wrote:

no puzzle yesterday

One finally did appear several hours late.

boot10 wrote:

rook to e7 is also #in2

Not two, but three.

WOW EPIC

I try to get my minor pieces on good squares, avoid tempo wasting pawn moves, then castle my king, and connect my rooks. THEN I look for a plan to attack. This seems to work pretty well most of the time. I often am able to do real damage to a king still lolligagging about in the center of the board. Open it up and go get 'im!!

great P.

frankiesheehy wrote:

I don't like the puzzles when there are multiple mate in 3's, but it only gives credit for mate in 2.

I completely agree. This was a dumb puzzle.

Okay...

highlyverbal wrote:

Ooops, I lied about the 50 move rule -- one of the mates in 3 begins with a capture on the first move..... so if we are on move 49 without a capture or pawn move, the mate in 3 is actually better in that very unlikely case.   (heck, since it is a capture, it also can't be a triply repeated position, too! -- it is equal OR better in all cases)  Given this board and no history, playing anything besides Rxe7+ is a clear error.

As unlikely as it is to be a factor here, after all the puzzle position seems to occur in the opening, you do make a good point in regards to the fifty move rule in saying that the mates in three (or even four) beginning with 1. Rxe7+ or the mate in three beginning with 1. Nxd6+ are the correct solutions while the mate in two beginning with 1. Nf6+ is completely incorrect if on move 49 of the 50 move count.

Technically though 1. Nf6+ would have to be either the first or second move of the 50th move pair after the last capture or pawn move in order for black to make the draw claim before being checkmated on white's next move.  If black's next move would complete at least 50 move pairs then the draw claim can be made.  Check this out for more information: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fifty-move_rule#Statement_of_rule.   

nice

Solved in 2 moves!

solved 

done!

A puzzle like this bothers me because that is a painful number of hanging pieces and I can't imagine how this could have come to be.

Online Now