Anand-Gelfand in Moscow

• WGM Natalia_Pogonina
  • | May 22, 2012
  • | 19320 views

The title of "World Champion" is the most coveted award in chess. It is desired by millions, but reached by only the chosen few. Behind each champion there is a story of years of hard work. Some great chess players never became world champions for one reason or another. Traditionally, the fate of the title is decided in a match between the champion and the challenger. At certain points in history knock-out events and tournaments were used to determine the champion, but I believe that a match is the most exciting and attractive way to find out who the world’s #1 player is.

The 2012 WCC match is taking place in Moscow, Russia in the famous Tretyakov Art Gallery. The quality of the video broadcast is, as usually, unmatched. Over a dozen of top GMs have been invited to commentate on the match at the official website in both Russian and English. Even more of them are scattered all over the other chess media. Every day there are press conferences with celebrity guests; simuls for children and other interesting events. The organization of the tournament is actually beyond praise. The only thing that is getting widely criticized is the art & commercial breaks that are very long and sometimes occur at the critical moments. The idea to entertain the viewers and educate them about arts is generally good, but the implementation hasn’t received much positive comments. Make sure you visit the official website of the WCC if you haven’t bookmarked it already.

Viswanathan Anand has a unique record of having won the title under all the three systems: knock-out, tournament, match. He has been holding the title since 2007 and defended it in 2008 against Kramnik and in 2010 against Topalov. This time he is being challenged by Boris Gelfand, who had to win first the World Cup and then the Candidates Matches to qualify. They are of about the same age; both are very experienced. Don’t be misled by their relatively modest ratings: 4th and 20th. Clearly, both of them were focused on the WCC match and didn’t show their best during other tournaments. As a result, both have lost quite a few rating points.

To prepare for a WCC match one has to undertake a tremendous amount of work. Gelfand has been known to study up to 12 hours a day. We don’t have the relevant information about Anand, but it’s clear that he wasn’t idling either. A critical component of success is finding the right team of seconds. These people must get along well with each other, be truly motivated to help, ready to work hard and be innovative and creative enough to generate top-level ideas in the opening.

The pressure on them is extremely high. Usually they are not even getting enough sleep, not to mention any other pleasures. Few grandmasters can handle it. To get a sense of the atmosphere, you can read a frank book by Bareev and Levitov called “From London to Elista”, which is dedicated to Kramnik’s WCC matches against Kasparov, Leko and Topalov.

femalesecond.jpg

A common practice is to prepare a new opening specifically for the match in order to surprise the opponent. The other team must try to anticipate such surprises. After the first half of the match it became obvious that both Anand’s and Gelfand’s teams have worked very well on the repertoire for Black. Also, both teams have failed to predict what the other side has prepared. Anand was clearly not ready to face the Gruenfeld and the Sveshnikov, while Gelfand hasn’t foreseen that Anand will employ the hybrid of Chebanenko and Meran in the Slav.

At first glance it looks like Gelfand has some advantage after the first half of the match. He is taking more risks and obviously enjoying the games while, at the same time, not falling for gambling ideas. The price of making a mistake in this match is very high. Anand looks very tense and sapless. His posture is saying “don’t beat me” and reminds of a diligent student who hasn’t learnt his lesson. When he faces risky continuations, he replies very carefully, trying to avoid risks at all costs. We haven’t seen the real Anand so far – witty, sharp-eyed, unpredictable, swift!

The first 6 games in the match were drawn, and only in the third game one of the opponents had real winning chances.

Game #7 stands alone in the sense that Anand played very strangely. Unlike normally, I could hardly guess his moves at all while commentating on the game online. A few mistakes untypical of Vishy’s level, and the duel was decided in Boris’ favor.

Update: in game 8 both partners have demonstrated interesting ideas in the opening (Nh5 for Gelfand, Qd2 for Anand). Alas, the struggle ended on move 17 after a terrible blunder by Gelfand.  This seems to be an anti-record: the shortest loss in the history of the WCC matches!

I would like to annotate for you game #3 of the match. It was a good fighting game which Anand could have won if he hadn’t gotten into time trouble. Usually he is playing very quickly, so this was a bad sign for Vishy. Game #7 has confirmed the diagnosis: Anand is in a bad chess shape.

Comments

WGM Natalia_Pogonina

Let’s stay in touch on social networks! Here are my official accounts:

Twitter
    YouTube
    Facebook:
    Account 1, Account 2, Account 3
    VKontakte
    LiveJournal
    Google+

harp396

Very nice report, thank you!

BinuKP

outstanding coverage of the match..thanx

leonelcm

Excellent article, thanx for sharing...

kasparovjunior303

In most of the Games Anand seems to be in command although Gelfand is such an experience player not able to reach to Anand's strength of the game.

fabelhaft

"neither player has been showing their best stuff leading up to the match, and their rankings suffered for it"

It's hard to prove that they haven't actually lost some strength the last years though, the recent events they have played have taken place long before the title match (5-12 months) and their results have been far worse than those of participants in previous title matches during that same period, see for example Anand's winning Linares both in 2007 and 2008 in spite of playing a World Championship the same year.

-------

Great article, I admit I wasn't all that exited about a Gelfand-Anand match given their relatively low world rankings, but Pogonina mad a good point, neither player has been showing their best stuff leading up to the match, and their rankings suffered for it, both players probably deserve more respect than they've been getting.

Also, as Aquinas65 pointed, it would be nice if there was more coverage of the match here.

Hermes374

Awesome article pogonina!

NM gbidari

WGM Pogonina- "Anand looks very tense and sapless. His posture is saying “don’t beat me” and reminds of a diligent student who hasn’t learnt his lesson." Perfectly described! . I have never seen him look so nervous and it doesn't look like he's spent any time in the gym like other champions have. Anand said he's not listening to his critics but maybe he should.

Benedictine

Hi Chaz, I'm not sure what to think of your post -  thanks I think! Yes I am ill at the moment - there are various infections fighting over my humble vessel and other factors means it's not been the best year. I'm sure I'll be fine though. I did not mean to complain so much at the coverage and indeed thanks for the article. I managed to watch an hour or so yesterday without any art whatsoever!

ChazR

Mr. Benedictine:  I want you to know something.  I see you. I care about you.  I worry about you and I get the feeling you are in pain.  Please excuse me if I am wrong.  I am sorry, but my gut feeling is that you are suffering in some way.  Again, if I am wrong, please forgive me.  All I am saying is, we  all have feelings and I want to know YOU are all right.  You play chess?   Please stay with us.  We are your family...everything is going to be OK, even for a sensitive, kind person like you.

vidhan

hows tht a draw anand is clearly winning

zdigyigy

Thank you for your comments and analysis, Natalia.

mobidi

Kasparov is right! Anand and Gelfand are ,of course,very strong GM-they are STRONGEST in FIDE version .But they are not absolutely strongest.FIDE system is BAD.Of course very hard is to create GOOD system (or almost good ).Maybe old system (without system), when Steinitz played vs REALLY strongest opponent (he finded opponents himself)-was the BEST.But Steinitz was only one (very brave man).Ratings? Ratings can only help us to see, what we can to wait from the player.TO WAIT! (ONLY), but really ,when two opponents are playing MATCH-we don't know anything! especaially if PRIZE is BIG (really big -5-10 milions )Undecided

fabelhaft

"I believe that a match is the most exciting and attractive way to find out who the world’s #1 player is. The 2012 WCC match is taking place in Moscow, Russia"

Yes, but then it's another question if this match really will help us find out who the world's #1 player is.

mobidi

game 9 ?- Yes !-two bishops-very dangerous , i think in such position (after 18.Bh4 -Carlsen ,Aronian and Kramnik vs Anand 3-0 !.Gelfand is not very dangerous for Anand in ENDGAMES.19.c5?-was REMIS offering....

novzki41

impressive article!

Game 9 was a very exciting game!!

scott88688

This is an outstanding report that really explains the human side of such a battle.

ChazR

"The pressure on them is extremely high. Usually they are not even getting enough sleep, not to mention any other pleasures."   GM:  Please don't use the word "pleasures;"  Difficult enoughas it is to concentrate on your execllent article.

tesasembiring

Amazing report by Pogonina!!!