Premature resignation misses miracle escape

• FM FM_Eric_Schiller
  • | Sep 11, 2012

There is nothing more frustrating than resigning in a winning position, but in today's game the player can be forgiven because the winning line is truly manaical. However, it serves to remind us that you must consider all captures in every complicated position!

While working on the new edition of my book on the Catalan opening (Ishi
Press, forthcoming). I
got hold of Bolris Avrukh's excellent grandmaster repertoire book
(Grandmaster
Repertoire, Volum e 1: 1.d4, Quality Chess 2008) which covers
many Catalan lines. This book contains very deep analysis with what seems
to be
through computer checking, but nevertheless I have found a few spots where
he should have let his silicon assistant ponder a bit longer. In one
stunning example I found a position where black resigned, where black
actually has the advantage after a fantastic series of moves that I found
with the help of the Houdini computer program. I present that game below,
together with a few other improvements that I came across. It just goes
to show that no matter how thorough you think you have been, there is
often still more to be discovered. If you apply enough patience.

Comments

_64_

What I find strange, is that no solution is provided. What should black do after Ne6?

I've found one really interesting variation, but I didn't caclulate everything thorougly, so maybe I'm mistaken...

So, in my opinion black should continue with:

19. .... Nf2

20. Rf2 (white should take, because queen is hanging and 20. Qh6 is met by 20. ... Ng4+)

20. ... Bf2+

21. Kh1 (21. Kf2 fe+)

21. ... Nf4

22. gf Qd2 it looks like white are in trouble now.

Am I right?

stevewhite85

These moves look like cheating to me, the kind of moves a 5 year old might make when learning piece moves.

No chess book I've ever read or owned and even the Grandmaster games I've replayed have these insane sequence of moves.  If these are legal moves, I'd like to see reputable proof.  It's long way until April fools, so that answer has been ruled out.

vulcan

STOP!! STOP!! I read this at work, especially ChrisIsMeChris's comments. I thought I was going to be fired, I could not stop laughing.

YoniKer

Notice how the white's queen impossible journey from h3 to Qxd2(!!!) taking its own knight,to b5,which seems like an impossible square not only because it is defended by the black's queen and bishop,but because it is an illegal move,is refuted by the brilliancy 4..Kg2!! Sacrificing his own king,signing the game score as 0-1 and threatening the white player to mess him up if he will tell the TD otherwise!

Truely no one could ever see that,thank you FM Schriller for letting the engine think for one second more than the GM did,and errng in the main variation of the only position you presented. Looking forward to reading your interesting book about the Catalan! (Just make sure to have Houdini as a co-author).

ChrisIsMeChris

dyp_95--both moves are impossible :) A computer mistake.
    -Cheers!

dyp_95

Ok, thank you, only 2 question: Why would you say me these 2 tricks if are not possible and if are , why are not known by every chess player? I mean, these are verry strong tricks. If i would try to do one of them with my oponents from here, they would say that it's impossible and you know that i couldn't prove that i'm right. So how could you prove me that are possible ?

C-nack

I'm not sure if I've ever laughed more in front of the computer screen than when I saw the last move.

lilAj

ChrisismeChris, that isn't cool- he asked genuinelyUndecided

dyp_95 it isnt possible, its simply a mistake my friend- the correction was posted by the writer.

ChrisIsMeChris

dyp_95:

You probably noticed there were multiple, normally illegal-looking moves...so it's actually several different tactics at work here. I'll try my best to break it down for you:

1. The Queen's levitating attack is well-known, but only at highest level play. Once per game, the queen can move anywhere a Bishop plus a Rook could move. Try to use this in your next game (go into settings to enable Levitating Attack) and you'll baffle your enemy with a new trick!

2. The final move, where the King moves across the board, is the third, and most difficult form of castling involved. It's also the only form that doesn't require a rook, and moving through check doesn't matter (a strong difference). Use this only if your king could move across the board and also capture a piece. Also, you have to be using it to checkmate the enemy.

Powerful tactics, to be sure.

dyp_95

Hi, the last move, what was that? say me the name and please give me a description about it, i don't understand how is it. Anybody please tell me is possible? and if it is, tell me how . Thank you

nyLsel

Nice variation in the end! :D

sfriedman71

Now I know why the engine is called Houdini!

Chess_Lover11

lolol

FM FM_Eric_Schiller

I can't find a wayto edit the article but here is the correct finish:

19.Ne6 {Black resigned, though he is actually better! But only a silicon monster can find the amazing line.}

{?} {!} ( 19.Ne4 {"and Black cannot avold losing material" --Avrukh.}

Bxd4 20.Bxd4 N5f4 {!} 21.Nf6+ Qxf6 22.Bxf6 Nxh3+ 23.Bxh3 Rc6 {=} )

( 19.Qh6 {!} {is the correct play.} Bxd4 20.Bxd4 f6 21.Nf3 {White is better} )

( 19...Nxf2 {!!} 20.Rxf2 Bxf2+ 21.Kh1 Nf4 {!!} 22.Nxf4

Qxd2 {!!} 23.Rxd2 Rc1+ 24.Bf1 Bxf1 25.Qd7 Bb5+ 26.Rd1 Rxa1 {!}

27.Qxb5 Rxd1+ 28.Kg2 Rd2 {with two rooks and a pawn for the queen. Analysis by HOUDINI.}

) 1-0

FM FM_Eric_Schiller

Parser garbled it,I will replace.

eugene_p_needlemeyer

last 2 moves in that last line are hilarious

Pawnpusher3

I think that last line is a joke. I saw the queen fly, and thats when I gave up on it. Now the king gives checkmate! What a brilliancy lol

lilAj

Can someone please teach me that king move... my opponents wont comply with being mated by my king

HateIsWar

10 guy playing chess: Dude, Kg8-xg2 is checkmate.

MrMars

that really is a miracle ending