The 6 Elements of Chess Pt9

• NM cldng
  • | Jan 29, 2008

The 6 Elements of Chess part 9

by NM Steve Colding

Force

The element of force is the amount of material you have. If you have one Pawn more than your opponent you are ahead in force. The element of force is the most permanent element. To be up a Rook is to always be up a Rook (unless we give it back!). The element of force is also the easiest to exploit and consists of trading. The goal is so we have something and our opponent has nothing. This way we cannot possibly lose and winning depends solely on our ability to exercise our technique.

Trading is the way to win when we are ahead in material but what exactly does that mean? Well, usually when someone sacrifices material they get something else for it. A better placed piece, more mobility, better Pawn structure. So how can the player with more material overcome these deficits?

The answer is again to trade. If he has a lot of piece swarming around you King, trade, less pieces means your position is safer and he has less to attack with. if he has a well placed piece, attempt to trade it, if he trades it your position is safer, if he moves it away, you gain time. If he has a better structure , trade, because in the endgame your force is usually a big advantage.

Now this doesn't mean just trade willy nilly. You have to take into account how much your up, what your stucture is like, whether its stronger to do something else. The general rule is if you are up a piece, trade Pieces not Pawns. If you are down a piece trade Pawns and not pieces.

In the next article we will be looking at a classic example of how to exploit a force advantage. See you all then.

Next article: Exploiting a Force Advantage.

Previous artilcles:

The 6 Elements of Chess Part 1   The 6 Elements of Chess Part 2  The 6 Elements of Chess Part 3

The 6 Elements of Chess Part 4   The 6 Elements of Chess Part 5  The 6 Elements of Chess Part 6

The 6 Elements of Chess Part 7    The 6 Elements of Chess Part 8

Comments

figrock

Thanx for the words of wisdom again... "If he has a lot of pieces swarming around your King, trade, less pieces means your position is safer and he has less to attack with. The general rule is if you are up a piece, trade Pieces not Pawns. If you are down a piece trade Pawns and not pieces." Smile

Ko0LAidFiend

I am very pleased with this approach, I agree that many many authors have failed to identify and/or simplify tempo. In your short articles I imagine there are atleast a few that could easily say they have gained more then a few 'strategy' chess books have offered.

NM cldng

Dear Klee, Thank you for your kind words. I feel I have an advantage over most chess authors because I am so dumb. Being uh shall we say intellectually challenged, I have to have everything explained to me completely and in a way I can understand. Its a very slow process if your learning but a great one if your teaching.

So I can take nothing for granted and that is a good thing that makes me an effective teacher. So when you need to learn anything don't pick the genius to teach you but the person that had to struggle for everything he has.

Thank you for reading and commenting, my readers teach me many things. It is definately a 2 way street and isn't that what it is all about?

Steve

Klee

Steve, I noticed your article ( part 9 ) just today. It's great. Obviously, I went back to your earlier articles. Better still !!!

It's amazing - I have read enough chess books but your angle or approach to explaining chess strategic fundamentals is so different, I definitely picked up more. Especially on the topic of tempo ( a subject matter very inadequately handled by many chess authors - we know and they know who they are !Laughing )

Thank you. If chess is TV, then the end of your every article is a cliffhanger !!!I look forward to the continuation in the next episode with relish !!!

Sothilde

Thank you Zugzwanger, this also benefits the non-native english readers Wink

And offcourse a big thanks to you Steve, for your excellent series of articles

NM cldng

To Pineear, thanks for your comment. Readers like you make it all worthwhile. Steve

pineear

Thank you, Mr. Colding. I'm really enjoying reading your thoughts on the game.

NM cldng

To Zugzwanger, Thank you for you kind words. My readers are the best. I am sorry sometimes I date myself with my terms I am glad people like you keep me on my toes. Steve

Zugzwanger

I too look forward to your next episode!
    Until then, here are some definitions that might benefit your
    younger readers...
    wlly-nilly: without order or plan; haphazardly.(part9)
    shilly-shally: behaving in hesitant manner; dawdle.(part 6)

NM cldng

To Ahrash, thank you so much for your kind words, it is the best payment a author could ever receive.Smile

ahrash

Thank you for your articles I found them most interesting and takes me back when I was kid and could not wait for the next episode of my comic book