Forums

2014 World Chess Championship Candidates Tournament

Sort:
64whitemice

I was most disappointed in Karjakin. If anyone's hit rising form during the last few games it was him, but today he took the first opportunity to draw by repetition, in a far from clear position in which he semed to have the advantage. I've crossed him off my list (along with 6 others in the tournament; I like watching Svidler, but he's too inconsistent I think).

Singh_Manish

The one and only The "Tiger of Madras" Vishy Anand.

BigChessEnthusiast

Kramnik vs Svidler, a sad day for Vlad: http://goo.gl/hzMPjG

mshaune

If people predicted Max Euwe then they weren't listening to Capablanca who said that Alekhine was clearly stronger.  Euwe was never in Alekhine's class on his best day. That's not 'after the fact', that is the fact.

blitzjoker

Maybe Kramnik will trounce Anand tomorrow and it will all be back on again.  Pigs on the runway, preparing for take-off...

Still, I hope he does.  Otherwise this tournament is going to fizzle out shortly.

My own favoured  candidate, Peter Svidler (mainly for his effervescent press conferences even when he loses) plays Anand in the last round.  So still all to play for eh?

varelse1

I have nothing against Anand as a person. But I really hope he doesn't win this tournament. Only because he is in no position to give Carlsen a serious challenge.

Pacifique
mshaune wrote:

If people predicted Max Euwe then they weren't listening to Capablanca who said that Alekhine was clearly stronger.  Euwe was never in Alekhine's class on his best day. That's not 'after the fact', that is the fact.

Could you give a source which gives such a quote by Capa?

After 1935 Alekhine did not demonstrate such a impressive results as in his best days. Euwe was uneasy opponent for Alekhine and he was in Alekhine`s class, starting from the middle of 1930ties. Read Kasparov`s "My great predecessors" (vol 1 & vol 2) for example.

swarrier
[COMMENT DELETED]
swarrier
varelse1 wrote:

I have nothing against Anand as a person. But I really hope he doesn't win this tournament. Only because he is in no position to give Carlsen a serious challenge.

Question is "who is?"

Mohan1092

Vishy vs Kramnik draw, rest looking good for draw too....

aman_makhija
swarrier wrote:
varelse1 wrote:

Question is "who is?"

Anand! haha

Zinsch
blitzjoker wrote:
Otherwise this tournament is going to fizzle out shortly.

Looks like it will.

trotters64

the tournament is still alive if karjakin manages to beat topalov ...he will then be only 1pt behind anand with a game to play against anand with the white pieces

mshaune

After 1935 Alekhine did not demonstrate such a impressive results as in his best days. Euwe was uneasy opponent for Alekhine and he was in Alekhine`s class, starting from the middle of 1930ties. Read Kasparov`s "My great predecessors" (vol 1 & vol 2) for example

Go to Youtube video results; type the name Capablanca in the search engine. A video should pop up of an on camera interview with Capablanca where he says [ in front of Euwe] that Alekhine's game is stronger. [He said in some respects likely to be polite.] The idea that Euwe was in Alekine's class is hilarious. To demonstrate Capa being right is that many grandmasters will have Alekhine in their top 10 players of all time. I've never seen a list yet that had Euwe there. Max Euwe was a match for Alekhine on 2 occasions. 1-when Alekhine was battling 'his demons' in 1935 and the other was in 1948 when Alekhine died. I can understand 'mild suprise' since who would know if Alehine had over come his 'problem', but shock?

Not a chance.

Pacifique
mshaune wrote:

After 1935 Alekhine did not demonstrate such a impressive results as in his best days. Euwe was uneasy opponent for Alekhine and he was in Alekhine`s class, starting from the middle of 1930ties. Read Kasparov`s "My great predecessors" (vol 1 & vol 2) for example

Go to Youtube video results; type the name Capablanca in the search engine. A video should pop up of an on camera interview with Capablanca where he says [ in front of Euwe] that Alekhine's game is stronger. [He said in some respects likely to be polite.] The idea that Euwe was in Alekine's class is hilarious. To demonstrate Capa being right is that many grandmasters will have Alekhine in their top 10 players of all time. I've never seen a list yet that had Euwe there. Max Euwe was a match for Alekhine on 2 occasions. 1-when Alekhine was battling 'his demons' in 1935 and the other was in 1948 when Alekhine died. I can understand 'mild suprise' since who would know if Alehine had over come his 'problem', but shock?

Not a chance.

1) Give a link to youtube video, if you are able to find it

2) "10 top players of all time" is subjective evaluation.

3) Your claims, belittling Euwe are baseless and obviously ignorant.

Pacifique

It`s no doubt that Carlsen is favorite, because he is much younger which is serious advantage in such a exhausting competitions. But I expect that Anand has learned his lesson from the first match and there will be much more tenacious fight.

DarknisMetalDragon

If Anand doesn't lose to anybody in this tournament, it will be the first time anyobdy has gone undefeated in a Candidates Tournament (at least in round robin format). He doesn't even have to face anyone serious, only perhaps Svidler. I rooted for Aronian until after the first round, when Anand beat Aronian. I had no idea Anand would be this good, but he will most likely win. 

DarknisMetalDragon
bongcloudftw wrote:

was wrong the first time when I thought Anand had no chances of winning the candidates. 

i'm still heavily favoring carlsen is they rematch...but will I be wrong again?

I thought the same thing myself.

johnyoudell

Don't take up gambling Darknis.

Zeitgeist_Kaal

Vishy Anand's excellent interview from November! Especially the parts where he discusses -what strategy to use for defeating Carlsen .

http://www.chessvibes.com/vishy-anand-it-teaches-you-some-humility

Makes so much sense after his victory in 2014 Candidates.Strongly suggest you to read this!!