Forums

Burgundy/Camel coloured 4" plastic pieces in Europe?

Sort:
mdennehy

Hi guys,

I should probably explain that in Ireland, we seem to have a dearth of "workaday" chess sets. Every bricks and mortar chess shop I've ever seen either has wooden sets or incredibly elaborate decorative sets; until recently I'd never seen a vinyl board and I had to order that from the UK. 

I kindof like the vinyl board/plastic pieces set though; there's a certain "I'm just here to play" vibe to them which your hand-carved-from-volcanic-basalt trolls-v-dwarves tolkein themed coffee/chess table doesn't really have (doesn't help that the last time I was in the shop selling those decorative chess sets, the shop assistant was describing to another customer the detailed carving on "the little horsey"...)

However, while the sites in the US seem to make every colour piece going, if it's not black and white (or black and tan - oh dear lads, not very PC that), they don't seem to carry the sets over on this side of the pond. 

There's a lovely, lovely looking set in thechessstore.com:

It even comes with a colour-coordinated chess clock for pete's sakes. However, the shipping to Europe costs more than the set does, which is kindof the tipping point for most people (reasonably enough, I would have thought). 

I haven't been able to find an equivalent set over here so I thought I'd ask the experts - have any of you chaps come across a normal vinyl & plastic chess set in Europe that has burgundy and camel coloured pieces, preferably with a 4" king or thereabouts and preferably well weighted?

ifekali

No European reseller carries this particular set, I'm afraid you are out of luck. You will pay through the nose if you order from the States (shipping & customs).

Are you sure you want to stick with plastic? If not, I suggest our free-shipping friends from India: http://chessbazaar.com

-Izmet

mdennehy
ifekali wrote:

Are you sure you want to stick with plastic? If not, I suggest our free-shipping friends from India: http://chessbazaar.com

-Izmet

At five times the price for a less-robust set, yeah, I'm sure :)