Forums

xmas present

Sort:
Wilbert_78

Hey fellow chessplayers,

I am so happy right now. With a bit of my own money my girlfriend just ordered me a set of beautifull chesspieces.

I didn't create this topic to brag, but I am so excited that I have to share it with people that can appreciate it and that is where you all come in :)

Anyway, I had a hard time choosing but after a night of sleep this set, the knights especially, still stayed in my head. So I asked her to get this one for me.

http://www.chessbazaar.com/chess-pieces/luxury-chess-pieces/triple-weighted-chess-set-staunton-bud-rose-wood-4q-with-storage-box.html

Now I only need to save up for a nice size 6 board that fits the pieces. Sorry to bother you all with this but I'm just to excited to keep it to myself Sealed

Hunter5117

Very nice set and not bragging at all, it is exciting to get a new set and I always want to share too. 

Hope the gf likes to play as well so you get some good use out of those beautiful pieces.

Wilbert_78

Thank you, she does actually, also a member of this site. But she is a very casual player. She likes the game, but doesn't love it.

tfulk

Nice set of pieces, and I dig the box! I'm sure you will get some great hours of happiness playing with those.

Hunter5117

Too bad more sets don't still come with a nice box like that. My very first set that my grandmother gave me about 50 years ago probably only cost $10 or less but came with a very nicely finished wood box. A lot of the reason I still have that set is due to having the box to keep it together in.

Dr_Cris_Angel

Wow! Those are beautiful! And I agree. There's nothing wrong with you sharing your happiness. Good for you!!! Enjoy it and have fun. Thanks for sharing.

Rsava

Brag away dude! 

Congrats on the new set, it looks beautiful.

9kick9

Nice looking Chess set!

Sangwin

Dude, those are like the most expensive ones :) I know as I spent about an hour there looking myself.  I like those, i normally like a less flashy knite but those have class!!  I like this board http://www.chessbazaar.com/wooden-chess-board-ebony-shesham-wood-23-60-mm.html 

I know its not a perfect match for the bud rose wood color of the black pieces but I think it would work well and is not to obtuse for such a fine display piece.  and the board is 12 lbs!   

Enjoy!

Wilbert_78

Thanks mates (phun intended)

Yeah, it is expensive to be honest. I'm pretty poor and never expected to own a chess-set in this segment. But because I can add a bit to the budget my girlfriend has it is possible. I really fell in love with those knights. I find them shockingly beautifull. The set can also be seen here: http://youtu.be/_jKj1bS79TU?t=55s

I also find the 2 rings on the other pieces, daring. Modern, but stylish and a bit different.

Before I buy a board I will need to save up a bit again. I like the board from the Polgar set. But I also like the glossy board in the video. Guess I have to give the board a good thought, but I have plenty of time. The board won't come before 2014 :)

Bardu

Nice set, Wilbert! Enjoy. :)

TheSneakyRussian

Wow, that's a great looking set. Wish I would have saved my money instead of buying some plain old stauton tournament style pieces...

Wilbert_78
[COMMENT DELETED]
Wilbert_78

Thanks SneakyRussian. No worries though, I also bought a much cheaper set a couple of years ago that I have just as much fun with. This is just something I always wanted, just like I wanted a 'real' fender stratocaster.

Btw, how's your chess going? I can see you have a nice chess mentor rating now! Keep it up!

TheSneakyRussian

@Wilbert Thanks for asking. My playing is still full of holes but it's getting better now that I found a local coffeeshop to play at.

Wilbert_78

Haha, I know how you feel!