Upgrade to Chess.com Premium!

1. e4 vs 1. d4


  • 3 years ago · Quote · #81

    tarunindian

    i personally think d4 is better because u will watch worlds no1 magnus carlsen is also stuck to it in majority of games where as e4 is only chosen by GM when thay are stuck to draws after a couple of matches after d4 u can see the recent world championship between anand and geflAND

  • 3 years ago · Quote · #82

    Dark_Falcon

    What a dumb discussion...the Sokolsky- and the Grob-players would say, both moves are really bad...

    I prefer 1.d4 because i can play the Blackmar-Diemer-Gambit...

    And now? Is anyone enlightened?

  • 3 years ago · Quote · #83

    The_Gavinator

    e4 let's you Parham.

  • 3 years ago · Quote · #84

    darkpower25

    I prefer to avoid 1. d4 and 1. e4 because people are more familiar with the ideas behind those openings, I prefer 1. f4, birds opening because it is an aggressive and unusual opening, but is still considered workable, if not as respected as 1. e4, 1. d4, and such

  • 3 years ago · Quote · #85

    Yereslov

    1.e4 leads to a more aggressive game. 1.d4 is more positional and normally leads to longer games.

  • 3 years ago · Quote · #86

    ChessSponge

    darkpower25 wrote:

    I prefer to avoid 1. d4 and 1. e4 because people are more familiar with the ideas behind those openings, I prefer 1. f4, birds opening because it is an aggressive and unusual opening, but is still considered workable, if not as respected as 1. e4, 1. d4, and such

    I actually play c4 for this reason. At my level I find 1.c4 tends to result in a game where my opponent doesn't have a certain level of the opening memorized (even more so when they play 1... Nf6 hoping I'll play 2.d4 and be right into a typical d4 opening. Instead I stick to either Nc3, g3, and occasionally Nf3). That way I'm into a game where we are both playing the board instead of playing an opening.

    At my level that has worked out for me pretty well, I have a pretty good success rate with white.

  • 3 years ago · Quote · #87

    bigpoison

    Dark_Falcon wrote:

    What a dumb discussion...the Sokolsky- and the Grob-players would say, both moves are really bad...

    I prefer 1.d4 because i can play the Blackmar-Diemer-Gambit...

    And now? Is anyone enlightened?

    I hate the BDG.  I've faced the BDG three times in otb tourney play and lost every one. 

    This variation is particularly insidious, in my opinion:  1.e4 d5 2.d4

  • 3 years ago · Quote · #89

    bigpoison

    Ha!  When I figure out how the horsey moves, the next time I meet that guy over the board he's in big trouble!

  • 3 years ago · Quote · #90

    jfiquett

    pfren wrote:

    I also hate the BDG, because nobody plays it against me, and so I'm missing a few easy wins.

    I live in an area where a local master lives and dies by the BDG. He teaches his students who then teach the local players and I wouldn't be surprised if 1/4 games in the area are BDG.

    I believe the BDG is dubious, but It's still very tricky in blitz. I typically try 1.d4 d5 2. Nc3 Nf6 3. e4 de 4.f3 ef 5. Nxf3 c6  planning on ...Bf5 ...e6 ...Bg6 ...Nbd7 ...Qb6 or c7 type stuff. If white plays an early Ne5 and NxB, the open h-file can actually present black with tactics if white isn't careful...

  • 3 years ago · Quote · #91

    Yereslov

    mschosting wrote:

    e4 tends to lead to open games that means drawish at high level if a gm lets say 2500 wants to draw a gm 2550 he will go on e4 looking for some dull middle game like in petrof or scotch, then again if a gm 2500 is playing a weaker player lets say 2200 he will also go e4 simply because weaker tends to mean lack of good tactics and opening knowledge, that will be deadly in an open game. 1 d4 tends to go into a more positional game type and is hallenging black to go on some not completely sound game plans like in kings indian when attacking/developing kingside neglecting the queenside completely, or to get into the benko gambit. Most of the cases white will end up playing QG (queens gambit) lines accepted or declined, or the slav defence, wich at least will guarantee white some more space to maneuver and development but it will be a slow maneuvering game if well played obviously

    For not so good level lets say 2200 below I must say just play what you like no one really knows that much theorie, probably most of your opponents won't even follow the basic opening rules

    Where are you getting this BS? 

    GM's rarely play the Petroff for that very reason. It's a dull opening.

  • 3 years ago · Quote · #93

    Dark_Falcon

    pfren wrote:

    I also hate the BDG, because nobody plays it against me, and so I'm missing a few easy wins.


    I can do you a favor and play it against you, although i will be no match for you, but maybe this saves you the weekend Cool

  • 3 years ago · Quote · #94

    Dark_Falcon

    bigpoison wrote:
    Dark_Falcon wrote:

    What a dumb discussion...the Sokolsky- and the Grob-players would say, both moves are really bad...

    I prefer 1.d4 because i can play the Blackmar-Diemer-Gambit...

    And now? Is anyone enlightened?

    I hate the BDG.  I've faced the BDG three times in otb tourney play and lost every one. 

    This variation is particularly insidious, in my opinion:  1.e4 d5 2.d4


    Variation???

    Its a different move order, BDG via Scandinavian, not more not less...its the starting position of the BDG.

  • 3 years ago · Quote · #95

    Dark_Falcon

    uhohspaghettio wrote:

    Yes, I think 1. d4 is better also.

    At the amateur level 1. d4 has way better results than 1. e4. At the elite level the results are about the same but this is only because 1. e4 is only played a fraction of the time at the elite level. 

    Since 1. e4 is a minority opening at the elite level, GMs are less prepared against it than for against 1. d4. Because of this there is surprise value and the majority of a GM's preperation is unused. 1. e4 is still a good opening, but not as good.


    1.e4 = a minority opening....???

    A daring statement!

  • 3 years ago · Quote · #96

    Yereslov

    pfren wrote:
    Yereslov wrote:
    Where are you getting this BS? 

    GM's rarely play the Petroff for that very reason. It's a dull opening.

    Excluding world champions Anand, Kramnik, Topalov, Karpov and Kazimzhdanov, super-GM's Gelfand, Ivanchuk, Giri, Gashimov, Wang Yue, Jakovenko, Adams, Shirov, Leko, Mamedyarov...

    You are right- almost nobody plays it.

    Learn to read. I never said "nobody", I said "rarely."

  • 3 years ago · Quote · #97

    DaBigOne

    I like playing against d4, because i like kings indian defense

    Sicilian, i love playing against especially dragon/najdorf.

  • 3 years ago · Quote · #98

    Dark_Falcon

    uhohspaghettio wrote:
    xAsnl wrote:
    pfren wrote:

    I also hate the BDG, because nobody plays it against me, and so I'm missing a few easy wins.

    I live in an area where a local master lives and dies by the BDG. He teaches his students who then teach the local players and I wouldn't be surprised if 1/4 games in the area are BDG.

    I believe the BDG is dubious, but It's still very tricky in blitz. I typically try 1.d4 d5 2. Nc3 Nf6 3. e4 de 4.f3 ef 5. Nxf3 c6  planning on ...Bf5 ...e6 ...Bg6 ...Nbd7 ...Qb6 or c7 type stuff. If white plays an early Ne5 and NxB, the open h-file can actually present black with tactics if white isn't careful...

    It's not tricky at all in blitz. Play 3. ...Bf5, hang on to the pawn. 4. f3 exf3 5. Qxf3 is easily solved with derp 5. ...Qc8. 

    If chess would be so easy...6.Bc4 e6 7.g4 and i say white is much better...your turn

  • 3 years ago · Quote · #99

    Dark_Falcon

    uhohspaghettio wrote:
    Dark_Falcon wrote:
    uhohspaghettio wrote:
    xAsnl wrote:
    pfren wrote:

    I also hate the BDG, because nobody plays it against me, and so I'm missing a few easy wins.

    I live in an area where a local master lives and dies by the BDG. He teaches his students who then teach the local players and I wouldn't be surprised if 1/4 games in the area are BDG.

    I believe the BDG is dubious, but It's still very tricky in blitz. I typically try 1.d4 d5 2. Nc3 Nf6 3. e4 de 4.f3 ef 5. Nxf3 c6  planning on ...Bf5 ...e6 ...Bg6 ...Nbd7 ...Qb6 or c7 type stuff. If white plays an early Ne5 and NxB, the open h-file can actually present black with tactics if white isn't careful...

    It's not tricky at all in blitz. Play 3. ...Bf5, hang on to the pawn. 4. f3 exf3 5. Qxf3 is easily solved with derp 5. ...Qc8. 

    If chess would be so easy...6.Bc4 e6 7.g4 and i say white is much better...your turn

    7. ... Bg6. 

     

    Now what're you going to do?

    d5 can be met with e5. h4 can be met with h6 or maybe even h5.  

    8.Nge2 and White is much better...



  • 3 years ago · Quote · #100

    Dark_Falcon

    uhohspaghettio wrote:

    8. ...Nf6. Boldly prepared to develop the knight on h5 and capitalize on white's weakened king-side if g5 is played next.  

    9.g5 Sh5 10.Be3 with enough compensation for the pawn...White isnt much better, youre right, but the position is very complicated...


Back to Top

Post your reply: