Forums

2...Nf6 Scandinavian line question

Sort:
Leafs171

After 1. e4 d5 2. exd5 Nf6 3. d4 Bg4 4. f3 Bf5 5. Bb5,

What is the best continuation for black? I was looking into some articles claiming that 3...Bg4 is a good move, but nothing was explained about this continuation.

Does this line refute 3...Bg4? Or is there a good continuation for black?

Thanks

zxb995511
Leafs171 wrote:

After 1. e4 d5 2. exd5 Nf6 3. d4 Bg4 4. f3 Bf5 5. Bb5,

What is the best continuation for black? I was looking into some articles claiming that 3...Bg4 is a good move, but nothing was explained about this continuation.

Does this line refute 3...Bg4? Or is there a good continuation for black?

Thanks

That variation is complete garbage for black. There are a few good ways to play for black but you must either play: 1.e4-d5 2.exd-Nf6 3. d4- Nxd5 or Qxd5 are basically the only real ways to play for black here.

Leafs171

Alright, thanks for the help.

I think that I'll just forget about the scandinavian. It's too unorthodox for my liking, thanks for the help.

bjuchni

c6 is a decent option to block the check and close the position on the queenside, but I would suggest going with Nc6 in the true spirit of rapid development that the Portuguese is all about. Eventual plans for black will be Qb6 to hit the bishop and shift the action to the opposite side of the board, followed by a possible 0-0-0 to put pressure down the d-file.