Forums

Choosing my anti Caro-Kann

Sort:
CharlieJohnson

I'm trying to decide which line I want to play as white when faced with the Caro-Kann. I've been trying some of the advance variations with Nc3 and g4, but they're quite theoretical and I don't always handle the resulting positions well. I'm considering ditching the advance entirely for the Panov-Botvinnik attack, since I play Nimzo-Indian as black, and the two lines can transpose. Any reason to prefer something over the P-B? Sound lines only.

bresando

I really like to play IQP positions and so my natural choice is the Panov-Botwinnik attack (2.d4 d5 3.exd5 cxd5 4.c4). White position is very pleasant and straightforward to play, with an easy development and good control of space. I have seen many strong caro club players confessing that what they fear most is a prepared 4.c4 player.

bigyugi9

Panov Botvinnik for sure.  There are many transpositions from other openings to it such as through nimzo indian and even scandanavian, so it is helpful to know it.  Also if you play d4 at some point, knowing the panov botvinnik will let you avoid the benoni if thats not your cup of tea.

jonlangton64

yes the panov-botvinnik is a good line for white. unless the players chicken out, the game should rarely, if ever,  end in a draw. either white uses his space and development to mate black, or black survives and gangs up on the iqp to win the endgame. as in many qga positions, the game hinges around control of d5. if white can get in d5 without material loss, he has rid himself of his main weakness and his pieces have much greater activity. but i would advise white not to try the gunderam attack with 7c5. it can work against an unprepared opponent but black can more or less refute it by a timely e5 break in conjunction with the standard undermining moves b6 7 a5.

tygxc

1 e4 c6 2 d4 d5 3 f3
https://share.chessbase.com/SharedGames/game/?p=/Bmv9DGUH7+Vz/IakHm+Q69uAJMBzgsHE701+mlass4NkKPDN2At4mEuUs8/xbUh

jonlangton64

tygxc - yes, the fantasy variation is playable. one main line is 3.....de 4fe e5 5Nf3 ed 6Bc4 Be6 7Bxe6 fe 8Qxd4 Qxd4 9Nxd4 with a somewhat dull position, white may be a little better.

IHaveTheSauce

Fantasy variation!!

rychessmaster1
pfren wrote:

The Panov is highly respectable, and the same goes for the 2 knights variation. Also, unlike the French defence, the Caro Exchange Variation is far from harmless, and requires precise play by Black to equalize.

mainline?

drmrboss
jonlangton64 wrote:

tygxc - yes, the fantasy variation is playable. one main line is 3.....de 4fe e5 5Nf3 ed 6Bc4 Be6 7Bxe6 fe 8Qxd4 Qxd4 9Nxd4 with a somewhat dull position, white may be a little better.

My preparation against fantasy variation is Stockfish 1st choices. 

In here white have to play Bd2, (a defensive move) , otherwise white can lose e4 pawn.

Sometime I get free e4 pawn as my opponents could not find Bd2 move. 

congrandolor

This one:

JqH_415g

I have been playing and studying the Caro-Kann. Some of the most challenging lines in my opinion are the Fantasy Variation with 1. e4 c6 2. d4 d5 3. f3! or the Panov Botvinnik attack that goes 1. e4 c6 2. d4 d5 3. exd5 cxd5 4. c4

There are also some weird lines like the Tal variation in the Advance Caro-Kann or the Bayonet attack but I think those are pretty junk (My opinion)

drmrboss
JqH_415g wrote:

I have been playing and studying the Caro-Kann. Some of the most challenging lines in my opinion are the Fantasy Variation with 1. e4 c6 2. d4 d5 3. f3! or the Panov Botvinnik attack that goes 1. e4 c6 2. d4 d5 3. exd5 cxd5 4. c4

There are also some weird lines like the Tal variation in the Advance Caro-Kann or the Bayonet attack but I think those are pretty junk (My opinion)

Well, you can study from Stockfish easily.

I played this position a lot of times in blitz and bullet. 

DasBurner

Advance and then 4. h4