Forums

Defending against 1. d4

Sort:
komsomolez
Absurd wrote:
I play 1. ... e6 to be flexible, but that being comfortable enough playing the Black side of  a French Defense.

2. g3 is quite strong against 1. ... e6

soni777chess
komsomolez wrote:
Absurd wrote:
I play 1. ... e6 to be flexible, but that being comfortable enough playing the Black side of  a French Defense.

I disagree personally. If you are trying to reach the Catalan Opening, which is what the g3 move implies, then 1.d4 e6 2.c4 Nf6 3.g3 is a stronger move order, which is used by GMs. 2.g3 is committing too early to the setup.

Also, old thread wink.png

komsomolez
soni777chess wrote:
komsomolez wrote:

I disagree personally. If you are trying to reach the Catalan Opening, which is what the g3 move implies, then 1.d4 e6 2.c4 Nf6 3.g3 is a stronger move order, which is used by GMs. 2.g3 is committing too early to the setup.

Also, old thread

No, I don't think, it's too early. 2.g3 is always good, after Black already played  e6, because after e6 he cannot develop his light-squared Bishop on f5. You're right, Catalan is the most probable opening after 1. d4 e6 2. g3, but I personally prefer against Catalan Bb4+ as Black. For example, 1. d4 Nf6 2. c4 e6 3. g3 d5 4. Bg2 

a) 4. ... Bb4+ 5.Bd2 Be7 or

b) 4. ... dc 5.Nf3 Bb4+ 6.Bd2 c5!? with equality.

After 1. d4 e6 2. g3  mover order I cannot Play this, because White first Castles, then Plays c4. However, if you Play Be7 against Catalan, it does not bother you.